Topic of the Week - Sexing Chicks

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Topic of the Week (38).png

Boy or girl? Determining gender in chicks can be a tricky business with most breeds, especially Silkies. Though on the flip side, sex-linked breeds can be identified at a glance. But, for the more difficult breeds, what are some of the accurate ways/techniques of telling for sure if you have a male or female chick in hand?

What are the signs, or physical characteristics to look for?

700.jpg

Pic by @vasher
For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy or girl? Determining gender in chicks can be a tricky business with most breeds, especially Silkies. Though on the flip side, sex-linked breeds can be identified at a glance. But, for the more difficult breeds, what are some of the accurate ways/techniques of telling for sure if you have a male or female chick in hand? What are the signs, or physical characteristics to look for?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Are you talking about day old chicks? Most chicks can be accurately sexed by sight at about 8 weeks old.

Are you talking about day old chicks? Most chicks can be accurately sexed by sight at about 8 weeks old.
From day-old to "should be obvious". Though that being said, I once had a young cockerel crow to let me know it's a HE, not a SHE as I was so convinced it was. To add insult to injury, he was standing ON MY LAP at the time…

For the BR the spot on their head and leg color are the first signs, for Wellsummers the pattern of their stripe and "eyeliner" are the first signs. For all baby chicks I think the rate of development of the comb/feathers is an indication - Not sure but think the females feather faster and males the comb increases first

As they grow, most of us for first flocks imagine sickle tail feathers and male features out of fear.

For the BR the spot on their head and leg color are the first signs, for Wellsummers the pattern of their stripe and "eyeliner" are the first signs. For all baby chicks I think the rate of development of the comb/feathers is an indication - Not sure but think the females feather faster and males the comb increases first

As they grow, most of us for first flocks imagine sickle tail feathers and male features out of fear.
Do you have pictures of these telltale signs by any chance? :fl

Back
Top Bottom