Topic of the Week - Toxic treats and foraging

My little darlings like styrofoam. They will eat every little piece they see.
I know! Mine too! They have a huge yard to free range in, and what do they do? The leghorns come up to the side of the house and eat the one piece of exposed Styrofoam on the wall.:mad::he It is behind a bush and low to the ground. Now there is a giant hole in the Styrofoam. Does anyone know if Styrofoam will kill a chicken? I haven't lost any leghorns, and they've eaten most of it now.

I'm growing blue star creeper in the front yard as an alternative to grass lawns (I'm highly allergic to just about every grass). I'm glad I read this so I don't let the hens free range the front yard without covering the creeper (it's just in small patches right now).

I know! Mine too! They have a huge yard to free range in, and what do they do? The leghorns come up to the side of the house and eat the one piece of exposed Styrofoam on the wall.:mad::he It is behind a bush and low to the ground. Now there is a giant hole in the Styrofoam. Does anyone know if Styrofoam will kill a chicken? I haven't lost any leghorns, and they've eaten most of it now.

it will not kill chickens. I have noticed when mine eat styrofoam their yellow diarrhea stops. I wonder if they eat it to get rid of parasites.

back when i had my only a cochin rooster i gave him a lemon quarter. he looked sideways at it then shook his neck feathers and walked away, clearly saying yeah that's gonna happen. befoe i knew about avocado i lost two birds to it. and good to know about buttercups. my chickens won't touch it. good thing too because i did not know it was toxic.

Top of my list is insulation, Baby Girl and her brothers got into as young chickens. Second on the list is cat food, they've even ran the cat off just to get her food.
You don't need insulation for birds. Reduce major drafts, but retain excellent ventilation and they will do well and be happy. Remember... they are covered on down. They prefer colder over hot. They huddle if frigid and only get frostbite etc when they are wet (non covered run etc) and there is a draft.

You don't need insulation for birds. Reduce major drafts, but retain excellent ventilation and they will do well and be happy. Remember... they are covered on down. They prefer colder over hot. They huddle if frigid and only get frostbite etc when they are wet (non covered run etc) and there is a draft.

Those people who choose to live in the Great White North have to have a way to keep the coop above 0°F, eggs will freeze and break/bust open if it gets too cold (with or without any draft). Drinkable water is also a problem.
Scott

Those people who choose to live in the Great White North have to have a way to keep the coop above 0°F, eggs will freeze and break/bust open if it gets too cold (with or without any draft). Drinkable water is also a problem.
Scott

in my hot climate insulation in summer would be great help.

Back
Top Bottom