Topic of the Week - Toxic treats and foraging

After rain we get some white mushrooms that pop up in an old round bale area. Yesterday, I noticed that some of the chickens had pecked the caps and today I have lost several chickens. These mushrooms have been popping up for a long time, but now I am wondering if they were the cause of these deaths. They had some kitchen scrapes, but nothing that was unusual. I am just so sad to loose these ladies. Is there a complete list of things that chickens should never eat..a link would be nice.

I tossed some creeping Charlie into the small dog crate I used for the chicks outside field trip the past 2 days, they loved it. This morning I cut a bit of kale and some lambs quarters and popped it in their brooder, they were still fussing at it when I left them alone. Have to go to work so will see when I get home what they consumed.

They ate the lambs quarters left the Kale. Silly girl.. Guess they like weeds. Tried bolted lettuce and spinach tops they didn't eat those either, still going crazy over creeping Charlie and lambs quarters.

After rain we get some white mushrooms that pop up in an old round bale area. Yesterday, I noticed that some of the chickens had pecked the caps and today I have lost several chickens. These mushrooms have been popping up for a long time, but now I am wondering if they were the cause of these deaths. They had some kitchen scrapes, but nothing that was unusual. I am just so sad to loose these ladies. Is there a complete list of things that chickens should never eat..a link would be nice.

sorry for your loss.

mushrooms are risky. cut 1 stem and see what colour or liquid they have. poisoned mushrooms usually have dark liquid with a strong smell. if you post a pic someone might tell you what kind of mushroom they are.

Could be fungus or toadstools and not mushrooms, many of all 3 are poisonous to both people and animal. I did learn this winter that the fungus that grows on corn stalks is edible and considered a delicacy in many countries. Not sure if good for chickens though.

sorry for your loss.

mushrooms are risky. cut 1 stem and see what colour or liquid they have. poisoned mushrooms usually have dark liquid with a strong smell. if you post a pic someone might tell you what kind of mushroom they are.
I will take a pic and check the color inside the stem next time they pop up. The are gone now so those hens don't think they need a little more of it:(

Just gave my 4 a small saucer with some plain Greek Yogurt. They made a huge mess. They think they need to stand on all new treats so their legs are covered in yogurt with pine shavings stuck to their feet. They seem to be picking up the shavings etc in the brooder and eating the yogurt off. They are used to getting egg on the saucer so know it's treats. Will check on them in bit to see the end result. LOL Might have to clean out the brooder.

I know one thing you should never give your chickens is watermelon. A friend of mine had four hens and a rooster. She tossed a quarter of a seedless watermelon in the pen and they devoured it. About eight hours later she had four dead hens.[/QUOTE
Our girls LOVE watermelon! Seeds and all. Sorry for your losses, but maybe they (the melons) were treated somehow?

Back
Top Bottom