Topic of the Week - Toxic treats and foraging

Pics
I don’t have this experience with my chickens but I know someone from another forum who bought rolls of grass for their lawn had problems with sick chickens after that.
Conclusion: It was not the grass that was poisonous, but the pesticides / herbicides they used to grow the grass. They sell the grass rolls without any herbs or wild flowers in it and use lots of poison for it.

Anyway, I don’t buy flowers / ornamental plants from garden centers to put in the garden. Lots of these plants contain pesticides / herbicides.

Last edited:
I don’t have this experience with my chickens but I know someone from another forum who bought rolls of grass for their lawn had problems with sick chickens after that.
Conclusion: It was not the grass that was poisonous, but the pesticides / herbicides they used to grow the grass. They sell the grass rolls without any herbs or wild flowers in it and use lots of poison for it.

Anyway, I don’t buy flowers / ornamental plants from garden centers to put in the garden. Lots of these plants contain pesticides / herbicides.
Good post!!! For years we've been purchasing plants that have the organic labels -- if the veggie seedling plants or compost/potting soils specify organic that's the only stuff we purchase for our gardens. We and our hens get fed organic store produce/berries/fruit/etc, and fed pesticide-free veggies from our own garden beds. Also, our local feed store has been increasingly stocking organic brands for poultry. We don't use bug sprays or weed-killers either. Shoot! If you have chickens they'll keep most bugs and weeds down ANYWAY heehee!!

I believe the most concern is with flowers, there are so many that are toxic to the chickens. And a lot of them extremely common. There is also a lot of "food plants" that are toxic, but there is more flowers.

Foxglove,
Daffodils,
Morning glory,
Yew,
Jimson weed, (also highly toxic to humans)
Tulips,
Lily of the valley,
Azaleas,
Rhododendron,
Mountain Laurel,
Monkshood,
Amaryllis,
Trumpet vine,
Nightshade, Also called Deadly Nightshade (almost everything in the nightshade family is toxic to chickens)
Nicotiana,
Tansy.
Onions,
Eggplant, Peppers, and tomatoes (the fruit is fine but the stem and leaves the "green parts" can kill them)

Potatoes and Avocadoes (all of the plant is toxic as well as the skin and the Avocadoe's pit)

Apple seeds (only the seeds are toxic)
Citrus fruits (citrus fruits probably won’t kill your chickens, however they do cause a drop in egg production. Fed in moderation is okay.)

Dried, raw beans (cooked beans are fine)
Bloodroot
Bull Nettle
Bracken
Bryony
Carelessweed
Castor Bean
Cocklebur
Curly Dock
Delphinium
Fern
Ground Ivy
Hemlock
Horse Chestnut
Horse Radish
Hyacinth
Hydrangea
Ivy
Laburnum (seed)
Lantana
St. Johns Wort
and Water Hemlock

Are some plants to watch for.

I believe the most concern is with flowers, there are so many that are toxic to the chickens. And a lot of them extremely common. There is also a lot of "food plants" that are toxic, but there is more flowers.

Foxglove,
Daffodils,
Morning glory,
Yew,
Jimson weed, (also highly toxic to humans)
Tulips,
Lily of the valley,
Azaleas,
Rhododendron,
Mountain Laurel,
Monkshood,
Amaryllis,
Trumpet vine,
Nightshade, Also called Deadly Nightshade (almost everything in the nightshade family is toxic to chickens)
Nicotiana,
Tansy.
Onions,
Eggplant, Peppers, and tomatoes (the fruit is fine but the stem and leaves the "green parts" can kill them)

Potatoes and Avocadoes (all of the plant is toxic as well as the skin and the Avocadoe's pit)

Apple seeds (only the seeds are toxic)
Citrus fruits (citrus fruits probably won’t kill your chickens, however they do cause a drop in egg production. Fed in moderation is okay.)

Dried, raw beans (cooked beans are fine)
Bloodroot
Bull Nettle
Bracken
Bryony
Carelessweed
Castor Bean
Cocklebur
Curly Dock
Delphinium
Fern
Ground Ivy
Hemlock
Horse Chestnut
Horse Radish
Hyacinth
Hydrangea
Ivy
Laburnum (seed)
Lantana
St. Johns Wort
and Water Hemlock

Are some plants to watch for.
You can grow these plants in you’re garden and let you’re chickens free range without any problems. Chickens won’t eat them as long as they have a choice.

I have a lot of these plants in my garden and never had problems with them.

You can grow these plants in you’re garden and let you’re chickens free range without any problems. Chickens won’t eat them as long as they have a choice.

I have a lot of these plants in my garden and never had problems with them.
Its always up to each person. I will grow the plants but not let my chickens around them, I have had them eat them before. I'm not willing to risk it anymore, but if you are than you can.

Back
Top Bottom