Topic of the Week - What do/can you do with unwanted roosters?

Pics
It breaks my heart that boy chickens are so unwanted. They can really have such a crappy life just because they had the misfortune to be born male. It seems so unfair so many communities prohibit roosters. I also have 2 that my county does not allow.☹️
With how noisy they get, I'm not surprised they get banned. Mine never shuts up. 😄 It is sad, but I understand why communities don't want people to keep roosters.

I really love roosters, but had to eat mine due to local codes. I knew I couldn't keep roosters, but only had access to straight run chicks for my situation. I do miss my Japanese bantam roo, he was very sweet, very pretty and would perch on my arm.

When I had a shot at rehoming them, I only had people interested from suburbs I knew wouldn't allow a live rooster (definitely looking for free dinner). I put a lot of time and effort into those boys, and couldn't guarantee they'd be treated well by a stranger before the end of their lives. It felt better to do it myself, knowing that I've given them a kinder and swifter end, and made sure that nothing went to waste.

For now, I let them grow and they have plenty of room to spread out. Some go far away during the day because they are chased off, and can return at night to sleep. I have around five seperate rooster factions. Whenever a hen goes broody or gets turned into soup, it causes unrest because losing a hen makes them aggressive to replace it.

However, where I live, they also tape sharp spikes to the back of their legs and let them fight. I do not do that, but fighting roosters is very much engrained in the culture of South America. You can buy all the equipment to fight roosters at most vet shops because not only is it legal, it's like any other sport like baseball or futball, but bigger.

Once or twice a month there are gatherings where people meet and watch the fights all night long, gambling and drinking. There are tournaments that last months and at the end the winner gets a trophy and money. Here is one of my neighbors fighters. The children like to raise them and it gives them a hobby.
Screenshot_20210802-033051_Gallery.jpg

All our chickens are considered pets and have a name,including the roosters.The tamest ones are usually boys in our case haha.
In case of troublemakers or "rough with the ladies"Bantams I stick them in the flock of non bantams of my boyfriend.
I got 7 boys in my flock right now and its going peaceful,also thanks to the leading rooster keeping things under control and calm.
This spring he was having a bad week so 2 guys took that chance and tried to take his throne.
After a few days in the "Big guys camp" those 2 came back humble and didnt challenge the king again..
We had a bunch of big extra roosters from breeding out eggs for my boyfriends flock, he had to cull some of them
when they reached 1 to 1.5 years since they were too rough to the hens and causing trouble even after the crazy puperty times were over.Iam vegan and our close neighbours are vegetarian so we buried them.He did have to cull 2 of my bantam roosters in the past because they got agressive ocassionally...1 moment cuddly as usual the next moment jumping someone.
I tried to train with them for a long time but it sadly didnt work.
Since there are children of others walking through our garden quite often we had to put the roosters down for safety.
They were very close to me and even if we knew someone whod want to eat chicken they would get buried instead since to me it would feel like someones eating our deceased dog..1 agressive bantam we gave to a neighbour whos a farmer with many chickens
and he didnt eat him since he knows i love that rooster.
(i visit him from time to time and he actually had 1 chick,luckily a daughter😅)
We wont hatch for now until our rooster population goes down naturally.

**Just a sad reminder friends** there are still horrible folks out there that will take a free bird to “give it a good home” and then the birds are used for cock fighting . Happens everywhere !
I live rural and the police just raided a ring & arrested 19 people involved !
I used to live in the city in Miami and they caught them frequently as well . BEWARE OF GIVING AWAY unless you are **VERY** sure of the new owners intentions

I am fortunate that I have a few different ways to deal with roosters. Since I raise pure breeds. I sell some with pullets as pairs and trios. I sell some as breeders. The large breed roosters that don’t make the cut. I process. The smaller breeds that aren’t worth processing. I take to the chicken auction. They are guaranteed to sell and I usually have my check in hand heading home. Within two hours of the auction starting.

I cant have roosters in town either, but there is a law you cant slaughter them either. So hope somebody would take it. Since I am probably hatching eggs next spring.

I cant have roosters in town either, but there is a law you cant slaughter them either. So hope somebody would take it. Since I am probably hatching eggs next spring.
Imagine, telling someone they cannot slaughter a chicken?! That's a 'cockamamie' law (pun).
What exactly is the reason for that? Chickens are for eggs and eating.

Last edited:
Imagine, telling someone they cannot slaughter a chicken?! That's a 'cockamamie' law (pun).
What exactly is the reason gor that? Chickens are for eggs and eating.
Flies, stink, and trash pick-up. Feathers floating around the neighborhood. Consideration for neighbors. Property values. In suburbia neighbors are often not that far away and the ones that are considerate of neighbors often face restrictions because of the behaviors of the ones that are not considerate.

Are there ways around these problems? Absolutely, if people will use them. Will everybody use those methods? Sometimes it is easer to ban things than to deal with the ones that don't.

I purposely avoided living in city limits and HOA's so I don't have these restrictions. Where I live is my choice and where I choose is my choice. I live with the consequences of my choice.

Back
Top Bottom