Topic of the Week - When Do Pullets Begin Laying?

My hatchery Wyandottes were born June 20th, which puts them at their first laying dates in Dec/Jan - since that's in the dead of winter should I just not even count on eggs until spring? This is my first chicken-raising experience and I'm pleased to say I have 100% of what I started with!
I know the first year will be laying thru the winter but it all depends on temps & lighting situation of course. Switch to layer feed at 16wks put out oyster shell at 18wks. See what happens. This is our first winter as well but ours were hatched end of April and mid may.

Thank you mamatink7. I don't plan on artificial lighting, and although I'm in Southern NM, I'm in the mountains and we get quite cold in the winter - single digits to teens at night for at least a couple of months. I won't count on eggs, but was just curious about what happens with summer hatched chicks when they "come of age" in the coldest darkest months!

Thank you mamatink7. I don't plan on artificial lighting, and although I'm in Southern NM, I'm in the mountains and we get quite cold in the winter - single digits to teens at night for at least a couple of months. I won't count on eggs, but was just curious about what happens with summer hatched chicks when they "come of age" in the coldest darkest months!
your welcome. Yes definitely will be curious to see what happens. My husband used to drive thru NM and said it seriously gets cold. Hoping for a mild winter here too (ohio it's rare but possible)

I have hatchery Silver Laced Wyandottes born on 4/20/2016. Two of them have started laying but eggs are very small. I hope that they will get larger. they are suppose to lay medium to large eggs.Two of them are not laying yet. Their combs have gotten bigger but are not bright red yet.They are getting there. I think that chickens will when they get ready to. Good luck with yours.

I have three 17 week old hens, 2 australorps and an orpington, who have not started laying yet. Last year my salmon favorolle, americaunas, and barred rock seemed like they took FOREVER to start laying however they were adults in the dead of winter. I think they started around 20-21 weeks. Of course, we are in the heat of summer so again, it seems like it is taking a long time. My australorps and orpington are just started to get a little bit rosier in the face, very tiny wattles are developing, they are very close.
This is how I feel my nine Buff Orpington hens took like 20 weeks to lay and it seemed like forever!!!!!!!!!!

Most chickens lay around 4,5,and 6 months.Some lay as early as 3 months.....But some also may wait until their nearly a year old.

Some ways to know, is their combs and wattles will begin growing.They will also have more red faces and combs.Their vents will also begin getting bigger and a more "Reddish" color.

They will also squat.The submissive squat is when they lay flat,and spread their wings out.Hens without a rooster will do that if you approach them.If they are doing this they should be laying in either less then a week or in about a week.

Most of my chickens have started around 4 and 5 months,maybe a little later.But a lot of these are duel purpose chickens and egg laying kind.
Thanks for the great information.

My first chickens (heritage breed) that hatched end of May , started laying their first eggs end of January and start of February. The ones that hatched a month earlier started laying in October.
And a pullet from July started laying by the end of February.

Short day lengths can postpone the moment for chickens to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom