Topsoil and wood ash for dust bath.

Spatchcock

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
Hi!

First Post since introducing myself, so hope I am in the right place. Our chicks are 4 weeks old now and I am just putting the finishing touches to the run ready for them to go out.

We have an area set aside for dust bathing, which will be covered to keep it dry, and is currently full of topsoil which is sterilised.

I have been reading various threads and don't think I need to add anything to this, but was also reading about adding wood ash, which I feel would help keep the right 'consistency' for the sand bath.

Stupid question time....

Where do people get their wood ash from? Can I just use the ash from my garden wood burner? Gives me an excuse to have a fire....😉

Have got some play sand, but that seems 'clumpy' and better suited to sandcastles than chickens!

I was also reading about diomataceous earth as a mite repellent, but am not so keen on that from reading various posts. Is it worth throwing in some red mite powder or is that just a waste of time and should save it for regular treatment of the coop and the chicken if they get an infestation?

Sorry, think that is more than one question and I'm probably over-thinking things, but crazy nervous about getting things right for the girls! 😁

Wood ash is any ash from any natural wood fire pit or stove you've got.

I would not "pretreat" the dust bath for mites, the reason being you don't really pretreat for mites (the insecticides don't kill the eggs) and you don't want to build up a resistance to insecticide by exposing them to low regular doses.

Wood ash is any ash from any natural wood fire pit or stove you've got.

I would not "pretreat" the dust bath for mites, the reason being you don't really pretreat for mites (the insecticides don't kill the eggs) and you don't want to build up a resistance to insecticide by exposing them to low regular doses.

Ah, that makess sense with the mite powder, thanks.

We have plenty of kindling and I have started to collect fallen branches from the apple trees out the front of the house, so I can start having a burn - always nice to sit in the garden with a chimenea going! :)

Thanks

Mark

Any hard wood would be good for ashes.
They might not like it tho.
Every time I added something for them to bathe in they find another spot.
I gave up and let them do their thing where ever they want.

Any hard wood would be good for ashes.
They might not like it tho.
Every time I added something for them to bathe in they find another spot.
I gave up and let them do their thing where ever they want.

As I said, I'm probably over thinking it...😁😁

Back
Top Bottom