Torn back nail

DuckyMama0309

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
My Khaki Campbell, Latte, decided that he was finally going to try swimming in the pond today. As he was jumping out of the pond somehow he tore out his back nail on his right foot. It bled for a few minutes and then stopped. I of course went out and bought an all natural wound spray meant for chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese. I have sprayed it a couple of times but he is standing on one foot. I do realize that it most likely hurts and that is why he is doing it.

Should I use peroxide and triple antibiotic ointment instead? And if so, do I need to dilute the peroxide? There is no way I can keep a bandage on it as he will pull it off and my Rouen, Squeaker, would too.

Thank you! I did do the peroxide full strength last night and he certainly wasn't too happy about that. I will make sure to dilute it this morning when I let them out of their coop in about 45 minutes. How many days should I do the peroxide?

Thank you very much! He isn't big on swimming anyway. Yesterday was the first time he actually tried. But all he has done since is just lay on the deck next to the pond. He puts his head in and splashes the water onto his back. I think this may have traumatized him and he is afraid of swimming again. :(

I did do the diluted peroxide this morning when I let them out but it didn't fizzle up around the wound but it did on the poo that was on the bottom of his foot, I didn't realize it was there. lol

I made up a saline solution that I plan on spraying on his toe. I just don't want it to get infected and end up needing to take him to the vet. So, I guess I am being overly cautious. These are my first ducks, I suppose I am overreacting a little bit.

Thank you again for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom