Torn Comb

Flowerfairy

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Two of my chickens had a altercation that led to one of them in a torn comb. The base of her comb is separated from her head like maybe 3/4s of an inch. The comb looks fine just part of it is not connected to her head anymore. I separated her obviously and stopped the bleeding. She’s sleeping now with her head all bandaged up. How do you move forward with the healing of the comb?
I will attach a photo but it’s not obvious that the backside of the comb is not on her head anymore. I guess the chicken tore part of it off separating it. I feel so badly for her! I think everything will be okay. Has this happened to anyone?

Attachments

• 7439A221-069A-4366-8161-00F05A33ECA9.jpeg
    7439A221-069A-4366-8161-00F05A33ECA9.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 40
Poor thing keep her isolated till blessing stops and to confirm it's not infected. I haven't dealt with this but I know they can get frostbite and lose part of them up north. I would try to super glue but since it was ripped off and there's a chance of infection that would be a disaster.
I don't know how to tag someone but eggsessive and wyorp rock and Dobie Lover are real excellent on disease and healing questions. You might post in articles ( the icon at top that's 4th from left that looks like a folded over corner of a page) "learning center" then pick injuries emergencies and diseases sub article

I've read other threads on the same type of injuries and all they've done is keep it clean and apply antibiotic ointment 1-2 times a day keeping the wound moist. It's a tricky spot for bandages and every post I've seen so far just leaves it uncovered with plenty of ointment so it doesn't dry out too much. Sometimes the torn part won't reattach and will either heal as it is or a small part of tissue that was torn will dry up and fall off, just depends how deeply it was torn. If it starts bleeding excessively, blood stop powder or similar products can be used, if none is available flour or cornstarch can be used as alternatives. Others suggested not to use blu-cote while they are quarantined so you can see color changes properly without staining hiding it and save that for later when they are introduced back to the flock if pecking is an issue. The biggest issues appear to be infection or fly strike so as long as you keep it clean and away from flies it should heal without any problems. These are just notes I've taken, never had to deal with it myself so if anyone with more knowledge has any corrections to make, please do.

Comb injuries bleed a lot, but usually heal up fairly quickly. Previous post is accurate as to what to do. Make sure that the wound doesn't get pecked and reopened, usually once bleeding is stopped they are fine back with the others. Injuries can happen from fights, getting the comb caught on something, like fencing wire, or sometimes cockerels/roosters can injure a hen during mounting when hanging on with his beak. Larger combed birds are more often injured this way.

Back
Top Bottom