Torn on my meatie Roo...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aclee, May 31, 2010.

1. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    So we processed the majority of our meaties a couple weeks back. I held back a few of the smaller cornish roasters and I held back one large, beautiful well muscled, not obese and really tall roo that was also a cornish...not sure if it was a jumbo or a roaster. We call him "DW" (for Dark Wing...because he has some dark feathers) he would be an amazing roo for someone who wanted to breed their own meaties. He is beautiful for a 12 weeks old cornish meatie. Anyway...he started to crow. We're already fighting the town on my chickens, so this guy has to go. I have no issue with eating him emotionally...we have plenty of food and $ into him, but he would be such an amazing addition to someone wanting to breed a sustainable meatie...which is what I wanted to do with him! He's just so tall and well built! Anyway...what should I do? I really doubt anyone in my area is breeding their own sustainable meatie breed, and even if they were, I would have no idea how to find them. Should I list him on CL or just go ahead and eat him? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Maybe you could post him on Craigslist and set a date that if he's not gone by you'll just eat him... Just a thought [​IMG] hope you get some more helpful answers...

3. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    I posted the whole group on here for sale thinking maybe someone else would want a meatie breeding group. I figure if I don't have him the hens aren't much use to me either and our freezer is stuffed. I would really like to see him used for breeding though...he's such a nice tall roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by