Tortilla Chip Roundup

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Plant City Newb, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Plant City Newb

Plant City Newb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Plant City, FL
    Last weekend we were working on the run and had to take a break for my husband to run into town. Since that always takes a while (we're kinda way out of town), I decided to grab some lunch. I had tortilla chips with my lunch. Which of course I ate by the run. Who wouldn't?

I dropped a chip in the dirt while eating and without really thinking, I picked it up and tossed it into the run. OMG...chicken pandemonium! The first one ran over, pecked it with her beak and it broke. That is obviously the starting gun sound for chicken crazies. They went nuts chasing each other and trying to steal pieces of chip from each other. When my hubby got back, I said 'watch this', tossed a chip in and showed him how they were. I know, salt and all that. But it was just a treat.

Yesterday we got quite a bit of rain and had a number of muddy and wet spots in the run. I decided to put the girls to bed early as I wasn't feeling too great either. My husband asked how I was going to get them into the coop early. I went into the pantry and grabbed the bag of tortilla chips. We went into the run, tossed a few into the coop, they all ran in like maniacs and, voila, chickens were put to bed early.

In late April we're going to Minnesota for a few days. My daughter is going to be taking care of the girls for us while we're gone. Definitely going to have to invest in a bag of tortilla chips for her before we go. That way I'll know she can always get the girls into their coop.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Thats funny, mine are trained so when I go to the garage they go to the door too, they are in the garage because the roof wasn't working on the coop, it was peeling apart and the wood was starting to rot, at 6 mo. old that is what you get for a "pre-fab" coop I'll be building a coop this spring, after the know is all gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by