tossing bedding out of nesting boxes!

mels16hens

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Our hens are tossing out all of their straw in their nesting boxes. They just started this annoying habbit a few days ago. They leave very little in the box and we have had one egg crack as a result. Any tips would be greatly appricated. This is our first flock!

I have nesting boxes on each side of the coop and they toss the bedding(straw) out of one side, but leave the other. They are pretty organized though, they only lay where there is bedding and there is bedding on the floor as well, so occassionally someone will make a place there. They've been doing it since the very beginning, so I stopped arguing about it. The only thing is, I have to clean those boxes without bedding more often than I have to clean the whole coop.

Our coop has straw in the nesting boxes; the floor is poultry mesh. To help with mud, the run has natural mulch. Do you think our girls will know to lay in the nesting boxes or will they lay in the mulch?

Our coop has straw in the nesting boxes; the floor is poultry mesh. To help with mud, the run has natural mulch. Do you think our girls will know to lay in the nesting boxes or will they lay in the mulch?
our girls have layed in their nesting boxes with one exception. They seem to know where to lay.

My girls just started laying. They throw the straw out and refuse to lay in the nesting boxes. They lay in the nest the made out of the straw pile. But at least its in the coop!

Where they are supposed to lay

Where they actually lay

Back
Top Bottom