Tossing ducks?

spencedasavage

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Birmingham, AL
Is it bad for ducks to toss them so they can try to fly? I have two Swedish ducks, and one Khaki Campbell (not worried about him he can actually fly.) Is it bad to do this? They never seem to have an issue landing but I was told it was bad for them? I have seen them even get off the ground just a little bit when they are let out in the mornings so I assumed this was fine? I don’t throw them up at all, just a bit forwards.

Is there a reason why you are trying to get them to fly? Swedish ducks are too heavy to fly and while a Khaki Campbell may be able to get off the ground they're not generally an avidly flying breed. Even if you had a flying breed I would never recommend forcing a duck to fly as that is just a recipe for injury, disaster and major trust issues.

Birds that CAN fly figure it out on their own, none of them need to be thrown around to force it. Birds fall/fly out of nests because their nests are by nature up in a tree. If it were safe for them to nest on the ground then they'd take off from the ground.

Back
Top Bottom