Total Newb from Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mo5C, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Mo5C

Mo5C Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    New Meadows, ID
    I am not new to this sigh but I am a new member and I had a couple questions. 1) How can I keep my chickens warm through the cold fall and winter when my dad won't let me run power out to the coop to run a heat lamp? And 2) What can cause a rooster who used to be rreally sweet all of a sudden turn mean and start attacking anyone who went into the chicken yard and even the hens? I just had to get rid of my 3 month old Delaware rooster because he started doing just that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also just had to rehome my barred rock hen (I have an Amber White hen, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and originally the barred rock and the Delaware rooster) because she started attacking the other hens.

:( Very concerned chicken mom

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mo5C, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us. I think your chickens will be fine in the winter as long as they have a draft free coop. They are pretty tough birds and will produce a lot of their own heat to keep the coop if not warm, at least warm enough. Also, always give them plenty of the proper food and water to keep their health up. In terms of your rooster...I have had young friendly cockerels turn into mean roosters...while others remain friendly. Unsure why. I think some just get a little full of themselves and their role of being at the top of the pecking order and turn mean. Others don't. Best of luck to you.

3. Mo5C

Nov 11, 2012
    New Meadows, ID
    Thank You for the warm welcome redsoxs and thank you for the help. They do keep it pretty warm...as long as I keep the cover to the ventilation window closed.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] I agree with Redsoxs on the coop advice. For the mean rooster it could be due to hormones.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, make sure the coop has some form of ventilation even in the winter. Good luck.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Mo5C

Nov 11, 2012
    New Meadows, ID
    Thank you everyone.

8. bluesGuy

bluesGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Wasco CA.
    [​IMG] soak up all the knowledge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by