Total newbie - is this coop OK, and for how many?

fpgill

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
I am just getting started (no chickens yet). I have a homemade coop through freecycle and I wanted to ask if it was sufficient, and for how many birds.

Here's the basic idea:
IMG_0630.jpg

Coop measures 37" by 30" (footprint). As you see the roof is sloped, height at the top is 39", height at the lowest point is 26". There are 3 nest boxes mounted inside the coop, against the tallest wall, raised above the floor so that there is 14" of head space under the boxes:
IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

The interior is lined with (deteriorating) foam which I am removing - I'm not sure insulation is necessary. My plan is to stick this coop inside a 8x10 dog kennel with some sort of roof to prevent hawks from picking them off. I also think I will raising the coop up more with another round of cinder blocks so they can walk under it for more room and shade.

So any advice - how many birds can I put in this coop? I'm not interested in bantams, and would appreciate any suggestions on breed - my main concerns are getting a breed that is cold hardy (I'm in MA zone 5b/6a) and that is productive for as many years as possible.

Thank you for any suggestions. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

i would say 2 standard breeds or 4 banties if they only sleep in it and thy are aloud to be outside the whole day with no rain or snow

Last edited:
Thank you. My plan was indeed to have them outside during the day, shut them in at night. I was hoping to stick with this coop, but I was hoping to get may be 4 hens.

Most of the ones I've looked at online are really expensive (The local Agway's cheapest one was $800+!!). I checked out the Ware line, looked at the Chick N Barn at a store but it seemed kind of flimsy and didn't even include nest boxes.

Any suggestions on breeds, per my second question above? Or where you can buy a reasonably priced coop? No, I'm not handy and have no carpentry skills.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Your coop looks good, for a starter coop. Stick with two standard-sized hens, if you possibly can.
love.gif
Most of us get hooked, and simply MUST have more. LOL!
gig.gif
caf.gif
Keep logging in, researcg the coops section, then you'll see how to build onto your coop, making a home for your increasing flock.
thumbsup.gif
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, MY FRIEND!

Quote:
im not sure about buying coops but if i were you i would get silkies
smile.png
i would say you could fit 4 silkies in their and they are very friendly and great mothers
smile.png

or you could get a bantam layer breed if you want more eggs (silkies hardly lay any) like a leghorn or maybe orpington.
if it were me i would get 4 different bantam breeds which would probably be brahma, silkie, cochin, and barred rock. although i love orpingtons and jersey giants and sussex.
i was planning on getting 4 chickens too although i added on to the coop and ended up getting 7 chickens and 1 goose
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom