Total newbie - is this coop OK, and for how many?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fpgill, Jun 9, 2010.

1. fpgill

fpgill Hatching

Jun 9, 2010
    I am just getting started (no chickens yet). I have a homemade coop through freecycle and I wanted to ask if it was sufficient, and for how many birds.

Here's the basic idea:
    [​IMG]

Coop measures 37" by 30" (footprint). As you see the roof is sloped, height at the top is 39", height at the lowest point is 26". There are 3 nest boxes mounted inside the coop, against the tallest wall, raised above the floor so that there is 14" of head space under the boxes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The interior is lined with (deteriorating) foam which I am removing - I'm not sure insulation is necessary. My plan is to stick this coop inside a 8x10 dog kennel with some sort of roof to prevent hawks from picking them off. I also think I will raising the coop up more with another round of cinder blocks so they can walk under it for more room and shade.

So any advice - how many birds can I put in this coop? I'm not interested in bantams, and would appreciate any suggestions on breed - my main concerns are getting a breed that is cold hardy (I'm in MA zone 5b/6a) and that is productive for as many years as possible.

Thank you for any suggestions. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

2. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i would say 2 standard breeds or 4 banties if they only sleep in it and thy are aloud to be outside the whole day with no rain or snow

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's only big enough for 1 or 2 hens.

4. fpgill

fpgill Hatching

Jun 9, 2010
    Thank you. My plan was indeed to have them outside during the day, shut them in at night. I was hoping to stick with this coop, but I was hoping to get may be 4 hens.

Most of the ones I've looked at online are really expensive (The local Agway's cheapest one was $800+!!). I checked out the Ware line, looked at the Chick N Barn at a store but it seemed kind of flimsy and didn't even include nest boxes.

Any suggestions on breeds, per my second question above? Or where you can buy a reasonably priced coop? No, I'm not handy and have no carpentry skills.

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

[​IMG] from Ohio. Your coop looks good, for a starter coop. Stick with two standard-sized hens, if you possibly can. [​IMG] Most of us get hooked, and simply MUST have more. LOL![​IMG] [​IMG] Keep logging in, researcg the coops section, then you'll see how to build onto your coop, making a home for your increasing flock. [​IMG] BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, MY FRIEND!

6. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:im not sure about buying coops but if i were you i would get silkies [​IMG] i would say you could fit 4 silkies in their and they are very friendly and great mothers [​IMG]
    or you could get a bantam layer breed if you want more eggs (silkies hardly lay any) like a leghorn or maybe orpington.
    if it were me i would get 4 different bantam breeds which would probably be brahma, silkie, cochin, and barred rock. although i love orpingtons and jersey giants and sussex.
    i was planning on getting 4 chickens too although i added on to the coop and ended up getting 7 chickens and 1 goose [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by