Total newbie

Queenisafella

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
Just looking to order the chicks I want so in 6-8 when the frost is gone and my husband finishes the coop I’ll be mostly set. I saw a conversation on Pinterest that lead me here about bands with decals to help tell the chickens apart. I’m also sure I’ll have tonnes of questions once I get into it. I presently have a pot bellied pig and chickens are also allowed in my city- just no roosters. Any advice or tips would be helpful

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Leg bands are pretty popular. If you aren't keeping 100+ chickens, you can usually identify each chicken in a small flock after they have matured. No two chickens look or act completely alike.

Good luck with this new adventure you welcome to our community!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I agree with @TwoCrows . Unless you are getting all the same breed and with such a small flock, they are pretty easy to tell apart by differences in personality, voice, feathering, body posture, behavior, etc. I personally wouldn't want to band unless I was breeding.

Hello and welcome to the joyous realm of chicken keeping!

I also agree that chicken banding isn’t usually necessary. Bought colored bands myself and they still sit in their original package lol. As for information, check out The Chicken Chick’s blog...Kathy Shea Mormino. She has a lot of good information and is like Myth Busters, debunking incorrect (and often downright dangerous) chicken keeping advice. There is another great blog out there but I can’t recall the name right now; will post it later once I remember it. They and The Chicken Chick are both on Facebook too and both come highly recommended by my poultry vet. Raising chicks/chickens is easier than you think; if you keep them safe from predators and adverse weather you will be ahead of the game. Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom