Totally Recycled

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaneHill, May 13, 2011.

1. LaneHill

LaneHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    When I started this project I decided to use as much recycled material as possible. Here's the project as of today...

24 Recycled Pallets = Free
    Recycled Windows= Free
    Recycled Canopy Top=Free (the last storm that ripped through here made it possible when it wrapped my screen house around the clothes line pole [​IMG] )
    Nails & Screws=$36.00
    The roosts were made from an old box spring frame I cut in half=Free
    Nesting boxes made from a recycled & modified work bench= Free

It still needs paint & a run, (& eventually OCB board for a winterized roof)
    I'm proud of the fact that it was entirely recycled & only had to purchase nails & screws!
    Oh & that awesome door.... recycled fencing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures once it's completed

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Looks great so far! Good for you in being so creative. May i make a suggestion? You may want to consider predator proofing. If you have raccoons or whatnot, they would be able to go through that canopy roofing, and also can chew through chicken wire. You may want to use 1/2" hardware cloth on both.

Good luck with your project. i wish i was as handy as you. [​IMG]

3. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    I like your fence door! I can see this thing painted in a rainbow of left-over neighborhood paint too [​IMG]

4. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Love it!! That is awesome! I think you should paint it green since it truly is green. Home Depot and Lowes always have the cheap miscolored paint that you could get. BTW [​IMG]

5. LaneHill

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    Sorry for the delay in my response, but I had a death in the family followed by a miscarriage. *nods* It's been a long month.

But! It turns out working on the coop was excellent for releasing some frustration... let's say it was good therapy to keep my mind busy with.
    Anyway.... Coop & run are entirely enclosed to fend off the local foxes, possum, hawks etc, but I'm now trying to figure how to keep a male black bear uninterested in the ladies *ack!!*
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, keep em coming please!

[​IMG]
    PS The "awning" latches shut at night

6. LaneHill

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    No ideas on how to keep the bears away??

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    A high powered rifle will help keep the bears away.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sorry, I have no experience with bears but did want to say you have done an awesome job with your coop and sorry for your losses.

9. LaneHill

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    Quote:Believe me, after the past 3 years of dealing with them, I'd LOVE to use one, but my chances of getting away with it are another story. The game commission told me to bang pots together to deal with them [​IMG] ummm yeah 'cos announcing dinner will Absolutely keep them away!
    [​IMG]

10. LaneHill

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by