Touching beaks-Anyone ever seen this odd behavior? Are they courting?

rebecca10782

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Recentley, we lost all of our hens. The only one that survived was our little roo. We now have two new hens. One has been with him for about two weeks and he trys to mate every one in awhile but nowhere as much as he did with his other girls. The newer hen has only been with him for a few days. The other day, I looked over and saw our Little Jerry and the new hen standing completely still with their beaks touching for a few minutes straight until the dog disturbed them
rant.gif
It was the cutest thing, it looked as if they were falling in love with eachother
smile.png
Although, they could be having a standoff =/ I don't think so because they have never fought. Has anyone seen this behavior before??? If so, do you know what it means?

Last edited:
Well, to me it sounds like a stare down. Our chickens do it occasionally when establishing/re-establishing the pecking order. It looks like a way they fight without actually fighting. Since you have new chickens you have introduced to your roo I would think that is what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom