Tough choices

mommissan

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Adirondacks
I am losing a beautiful hen to a simple case of bad diarrhea from a bad case of roundworm. She succumbed to the infection and I didn't catch it in time because I had to start a new job. I didn't have time to wash her down nor take her to a vet because of the new job. Worst part is, I know what I can do to help her, but I don't have the time nor the means to do it. Why couldn't she have gotten sick when I was unemployed? I feel rotten.

She's in my basement and I know I will have to go to work in the morning and I can't stay home to care for her.
hit.gif

dont beat youself up. We all have life which trumps chicken. Do your best and it will all work out.

on edit: congrats on the new job

Last edited:
I'm sorry your going through this. When my chickens ever get the runs, I just cut off all the butt feathers with scissors. I figure, I do the same with my dogs, why not the chickens. Makes a huge difference, and since they aren't terribly important feathers, no harm done. Keeps you from having to continuosly wash her off. Should only take a few minutes. Maybe on your way home or to work, you could stop and get some worm meds. They have horse wormer, in a tube, usually about $6 or $7. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but if it has praziquantel in it, it will kill the round worms. Just give her a dime size amount and repeat in 10 days. I really don't want to sound unsympathetic at all, I know how stressful it is having an animal that is ill, but I don't understand why you don't try treating her. Is she too far gone? I'm really sorry.

Poor girl. I hope she is still hanging in there when you get home tonight.

I don't know how you have her set up. Dim lighting and quiet is restful, but she should have some lighting in her area or she won't want to eat or drink.

Give her whatever you think she might like, if her appetite is off. It's important that she continue to consume water and hopefully some calories. In a worst case scenario, I'd even let her drink a little sugar water if she was weak. Sometimes it's enough to get them going or keep them going temporarily. Once they get too dehydrated or their blood sugar gets too low, they just don't want to even try to eat or drink.

I looked at your other thread. I'm not sure what to think about her problem. I know you wormed your flock once already. I don't know if she didn't get a full dose, you need to use a different wormer or if she has something different wrong with her, that's contributing to this. Sometimes, it's hard to figure these things out.

I hope she makes it. I know how stressful it is when you're at work and can't be at home.

She was gone when I went down this morning. I could tell from the labored breathing that she was close to death. I forced the wormer piperazine for two days and force fed her but it seemed to leave her more traumatized. I offered her bread and mushy rice, her FAVORITES, but I couldn't muster up any interest. Sadly, my trusted vet no longer treats avian species. Finding supplies in a remote town like this one is hard. Stores close at 5, and the ones that are open are an hour drive away. Thanks for all the advice. I will keep in it in mind in case I encounter this again. I will have to supply a chicken medicine cabinet so I can be better prepared next time. I knew it wasn't good when she stumbled a little on Saturday morning. The rest of the flock is doing well. Any suggestions on what I should keep on hand? Tylan? Ivermec?

yomama:
Next bout of diarrhea I will give them a "trim"- that's a good idea. I felt bad getting her wet then drying her off over and over... In my animal rehab days, I would tube feed a bird like this 3-4 times during the day. I always had everything on hand. It was just awful timing. The supplies I needed just weren't nearby soon enough. THAT is what was most frustrating.

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess I should have brought her up into the living room where it was much brighter. I didn't because she was very jumpy and nervous in the house. She was my second most skittish bird in the flock. Thanks. shoulda.... woulda..... coulda.....

Back
Top Bottom