Tough decision time -wry neck silkie

That is expensive!
You could wrap her in plastic and refrigerate for up to a week, in case you have another bird develop symptoms. Or, plan to spend if you have more get sick.
If it's worth the $$ to get a diagnosis for your flock, either the peace of mind, or having to modify your future plans because of having Marek's in your flock, it's your decision.
Is there another vet path lab that she could be sent to, that would cost less? Here in the USA, different state labs have wildly different charges for this.
Mary

Granted, your birds are younger than mine was, but it took me a month to treat wry neck in one of my hatchery JG hens. So, don't get discouraged after a week in the future, keep at it, it may take longer than planned but keep at it. I lost a beautiful bird yesterday, so you're not alone in feeling a loss today.

Thank you for the kind words. I did a lot of research and did see a lot more recoveries so I won’t. It’s so hard to lose one though she was a gorgeous girl. I’ll attach a picture. We named her Coors upon hatching because she was our little silver bullet. Hatched so fast and it is our favourite refreshment when doing chicken duties !

She was on gorgeous chicken.
802A562E-946C-453D-B17F-2147632D1770.jpeg

That is expensive!
You could wrap her in plastic and refrigerate for up to a week, in case you have another bird develop symptoms. Or, plan to spend if you have more get sick.
If it's worth the $$ to get a diagnosis for your flock, either the peace of mind, or having to modify your future plans because of having Marek's in your flock, it's your decision.
Is there another vet path lab that she could be sent to, that would cost less? Here in the USA, different state labs have wildly different charges for this.
Mary

Yes, I am watching the young flock for sure. We do weigh ins every week for handling experience and records. The babies all hatched together and were never exposed to other chickens or even close to the older flocks. They were my first hatch in these brooder as well. They have even been indoors since hatch. We actually have them in our back mud room which was a garage converted to a mud room type deal. I was feeding medicated starter so I wonder if that had something to do with it as well, I’ve done some reading about how it effects silkie chicks some times. It’s just strange she’s the only one that was effected.

I’ll so some looking around but prices are usually pretty standard in Ontario across the board

Back
Top Bottom