Tough lessons learned

Peepthis541

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Eugene, OR
Well, a raccoon finally found my hens and took out a total of two out of 5 two nights in a row. One per night. The first hen to go was my barred rock. She was an odd hen in that she chose not to sleep with the others and roosted in a non secured enclosure separate from the rest of the flock.
My mistake was thinking that my coop (housing the other four) was secure from a raccoon who now knew were to get a meal, even if he had to work a bit for it. So, the next night (two nights ago), I rested relatively easy, but woke to the shock of my "secure" coop being compromised. I still don't know exactly how the raccoon got into the coop, but he did, and took one of the remaining four, leaving three.
I couldn't rest well after this, so I set a trap last night at caught the raccoon with some cat food. I was very relieved to catch him. I let him sit in that trap all day today and at the end of the day drove him miles away and dropped him off in the woods. I contemplated tethering the cage and tossing it in the river until it drowned, but I was reminded by a friend that the raccoon was just following his instincts.
I suppose this was a good experience for me, to learn not to take for granted the safety of these animals with predators about. I had to deal with two dead hens, which was somewhat of a powerful experience.
While I am grateful that I was lucky enough to nab the culprit, my flock getting reduced from 5 to 3 in two short nights has taught me to be more wary than I was before.

Dave

Sorry for your loss. It's like losing a member of the family. But....

Now you create a raccoon problem for someone else, miles away?

And unless it was more than 5 miles, as the Gubernator would say, "He'll be back!"

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss. I do hope that's the only raccoon you have. You may set the trap another night or two just to be sure.
What a heartbreaking experience for you.
sad.png

Last edited:
im sorry i would have shoot the coon, even though you drove him miles away, he could still find his way back, if he doesnt he is someone elses problem now he knows he can get a meal at peoples homes, also leave your trap you more them likley have more coons hope i was some help to ya

sorry for your loss.

Coons are smart and this coon now knows to avoid traps. A Coon that is trap smart is really hard to deal with. If he comes back you have a trap smart Coon problem. Or somebody else now has a trap smart Coon problem.

Next time you catch a coon, kill it.

I had a trap set the other night for some feral cats. Ended up getting a possum. I don't have chickens right now and debated what to do with the possum. I knew the possum would probably never re-enter the trap if I let it go. The wire mesh in the Havahart must have been made in China with lead solder being as the possum suddenly contracted lead-poisoning and croaked. I placed him gently and reverantly beside the white stripe at the edge of the highway....the high-flyin' turkeys had a fine breakfast that morning.
91.gif

Ed

Don't be sad to have to put it down, Be happy you can give a another critter like a buzzard an easy lunch, look at it like goverment aid...... Like a bail out!.. ya!... A Bail out!....Thats it. Everyone would like a Bail out. It's a good thing. A Buzzard Bail out.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom