Tough Week (now Ruby)

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I was so worried about Bridge yesterday, I ignored the cues from Ruby, who was slow and waddling. She was also drinking a ton at the end of the day. It was hot and most of them were having some trouble. Well, shoot, I knew this would come again eventually, but RIGHT NOW? Ruby’s belly is HUGE. She’s slow. Still eating, but tail is starting to drop. She clearly doesn’t feel well. I’m sure it will affect her breathing soon.

I gave her ibuprofen and attempted Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox, but she fought me pretty hard. Putting it in all the waters today.

Last time Ruby’s vet said she felt a mass. We treated with antibiotic, ibuprofen and shut her hormones down. It worked! Hormones have been back. She’s laid a few times. Went into the box yesterday without producing an egg. I’m so bummed. With a flock of nine, I can’t spend $100 monthly for one bird (that’s what it would average if we keep the hormones up)

I'm so sorry! :hugs Wish I had some advice, but I haven't dealt with anything like this. I'm sure you will get some good advice soon. I just wanted to extend a little sympathy. It's rough dealing with multiple issues in a small flock.
It’s ok. I think I know what the options are in this case. Just wanted to share, I guess. I haven’t decided course of action yet. Ruby is eating and drinking, so that’s good. If I’m going to help her, at some point I’ll need to try to drain her myself or have it done. And she’ll need another hormone implant. I wish she would head into molt and shut her own hormones down, but she molted after the last implant. There are a fair number of her feathers around and she’s a slow molter, so it’s hard to know. She still squats for me. She is such a goofy, curious, funny chicken. I feel bad for her. She’s been hanging out with the chicks lately, so I’m not totally surprised. I should have been checking her belly more regularly.

Ruby is such a trooper. She’s waddling around enjoying her day. She eats, drinks, preens, vocalizes and forages. She’s just slow and breathes a little heavy when sitting. I gave her ibuprofen for inflammation along with aloe detox and colloidal silver. I’ll continue this a for a couple days and see how she does. I may take her back in for another hormone implant and assessment; haven’t decided yet. Haven’t decided about throwing heavy antibiotics at it, either. I don’t know what’s causing the ascites, but it went away when she was treated before. Tempted to give it another go. I think I’ve fallen in love with Buckeyes. So funny and inquisitive. Minnie is definitely taking on some of Ruby’s characteristics. It’s fun to see which traits may be breed related and which are just a chicken’s individual personalities. One thing is for sure: all three chicks are WAY wilder than any of the others I’ve hand raised. (For those who don’t know, they are my third batch of chicks. First two were hand raised indoors by me. These little ones were raised with the flock by a broody and had free range time at just a couple days old! Mama methodically increased their distance from the coop over time.) They love trees. They venture out further than I would like. I can’t catch them out in the open. Haha! But they sure are entertaining and seem to be having a great life so far. And they do come sit on my towel. Super sweet.

Ruby is still waddling around. She’s vocalizing less and is sounding a bit “clicky” when she breathes. I thought the bloat might be slightly decreased this morning after two days of aloe detox. She’s still eating and drinking.
On another note, Ruby doesn’t like treats. The only time she ate any was when she had dropped weight from not eating (when she had the “mass” in the spring) and I’d give sunflower seeds as a “reward” for taking her meds. Her issue is likely something else (other than being fat, like her flock mates). Prognosis is probably not good, but she’s hanging in.

Sorry for you hen. I had a hen that was loaded with water and so bloated she stopped walking and was breathing hard.I knew I would lose her if I didn't do anything so I looked up how to drain her. I had what I needed so I gave it a go. Yes,it was scary at first but after I drained 3 cups off the poor girl she felt so much better! The next day I drained another cup. I have heard of vets showing people how to do this a home. I don't think my hen had the same problem but draining her might give some relief.Hope this helps.

Ruby was sneezing at the end of the day. I’m concerned. I didn’t expect her respiratory system to get hit quite yet. And OF COURSE it’s happening this week when I have a family reunion Friday night (that I *just* learned about... not sure why I’m last to know) and a family wedding Saturday night. My daughter is in the wedding, so I have to take her early for morning activities and spend the day out there (it’s a 1.5 hour drive without traffic or 3 hour drive with heavy traffic, so coming home in between is not an option on Saturday). My son is flying home from college for the wedding and I need some time with him, too. I don’t see how I can tend to Ruby Friday or Saturday. I did not know my out of state siblings were coming for the wedding and my brother had melanoma this year, so I pretty much need to be there Friday. Sorry for sharing all my scheduling details, but my head is spinning.

Sorry for you hen. I had a hen that was loaded with water and so bloated she stopped walking and was breathing hard.I knew I would lose her if I didn't do anything so I looked up how to drain her. I had what I needed so I gave it a go. Yes,it was scary at first but after I drained 3 cups off the poor girl she felt so much better! The next day I drained another cup. I have heard of vets showing people how to do this a home. I don't think my hen had the same problem but draining her might give some relief.Hope this helps.
Sorry, missed this reply. Obtaining needles is a problem here. I may see if I can get her drained tomorrow by a vet.

Back
Top Bottom