Tough

As others have said. Age of Birds? Duration of post butchering rest? Those are the key factors. Next questions are management/method of raising? Did they free feed or free range? Finally, cooking method.
Age of birds is 9 weeks. I fed them according to the hatchery instructions but they were not growing so I free fed them. They ones we butchered were about 5 pounds. post butcher rest was just a few hours on the one I cooked, (fried). The other 3 were immediately put in freezer.

I will try it. We have 16 more to do but I was afraid I needed answers from you all before we butchered. Thanks
Some people freeze first, then count on an extended thaw to make the bird tender. I like to deal with rigor first, at near freezing temps (my fridge is quite cold) then move to freezer afterwards. This also puts less strain on the freezer, when you add a lot of thermal mass.

If I have to go "freezer first" (which I do with organ meats, since my intended preparation doesn't need "tenderness", but sometimes have to do with whole birds), then I'll use a three-four day defrost (I did mention I have a very cold fridge?) in a mild brine or marinade - most typically a yogurt based, heavily spiced type marinade, or a simple buttermilk, salt, and garlic seasoning. Donm't go too acidic (like a mojo), the acid will denature the proteins (leads to mealy, dry texture) in a long marinade.

Age of birds is 9 weeks. I fed them according to the hatchery instructions but they were not growing so I free fed them. They ones we butchered were about 5 pounds. post butcher rest was just a few hours on the one I cooked, (fried). The other 3 were immediately put in freezer.
Helpful. You did the right things, someone skipped an important step in your education. The other three birds, after lengthy defrost, will be much tastier. You got this. Welcome to BYC!

The leftovers of the tough bird could be pressure cooked for chicken salad

Back
Top Bottom