Toulouse Dewlap (Buff) Gosling Seizing

Discussion in 'Geese' started by calamity acres, Jul 23, 2011.

1. calamity acres

calamity acres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I recently incubated and hatched out two Toulouse Goslings, One Gray,One Buff. The Buff was born oversized,and had a crooked neck,as well as balance and mobility problems(beyond the normal) Over the last week or so it has begun to have apparent seizures. I've supplemented its diet with Brewers Yeast(Niacin),and B-complex,and initially after hand watering it seems to show improvement.But without fail it continues to have seizures. I understand the pet value of the poultry to many here at BYC, and I already have a handicapped Saxony duckling that I helped hatch out(deformed foot). I have spoken to my vet regarding the gosling(they believe it could be genetic), but even to just euthanize will be at least $50, financially out of the question at this time.
    This site has been great with information, and I'm sorry this will be my 1st post, under these circumstances. I believe this goslings line came from geese sold here on BYC several years ago.
    So I guess I'm asking if anyone has experience,and/or any expertise with my topic? I've been very hard finding much information online regarding this problem. Anyone????.........................Thanks Ron

2. calamity acres

calamity acres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    The Deed is Done..........I put the little Buff gosling down today. Its life was a misery,and it would wind up on its back and not be able to right itself. Its feet were cold,and it only took food and drink when I held it. Any ideas how to get my gang of two and half month old pomeranians to accept a very lonely 3 week old gray toulouse gosling? I already have him separate , but next to the older geese. Every time they are allowed together(because he wants to terribly) they beat him up.................?

3. horsefeather

horsefeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm SO sorry you had to put your little goose down. I know how hard that is. As for the others excepting him/her, for me it was a long process. I just left the little goose on 1 side of the fence with the others on the other. Then I put him in their pen in a doggy yard. It's been several months and they still don't like him. One of the geese did become his friend, but not the others. Sorry, wish I knew more.
    Pam

4. pitbullnh

pitbullnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Meredith
    do you have any passive ducks or ducklings you could put with the baby goose. I have a baby that I bought for my dh's birthday who the 7 year old goose is not thrilled with but a nice pekin female is helping..
    good luck
    Dawn

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I know how difficult it is to do that. It sounds like you did the right thing.

You may want to think about finding a similar aged duckling or gosling to be the lonely one's friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by