Toulouse Gander Behavior

alogue5173

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 11, 2012
Harrison, Georgia
I have had a female African goose for about a month now. She is very sweet and docile, but lonely and has started trying to romance my Tom turkey. I Got her a mate this past weekend, a Toulouse gander. She doesn't really seem to acknowledge him...hoping they will grow on each other. However every time I get anywhere in the vicinity of the male he cranes his neck and hisses at me. He hasn't attacked me or anything...I am just wondering if this behavior will continue or if he will get used to me. I have small grandchildren and he can't stay if he is going to be aggressive. Any ideas...help???

I have had a female African goose for about a month now. She is very sweet and docile, but lonely and has started trying to romance my Tom turkey. I Got her a mate this past weekend, a Toulouse gander. She doesn't really seem to acknowledge him...hoping they will grow on each other. However every time I get anywhere in the vicinity of the male he cranes his neck and hisses at me. He hasn't attacked me or anything...I am just wondering if this behavior will continue or if he will get used to me. I have small grandchildren and he can't stay if he is going to be aggressive. Any ideas...help???
Hi alogue, pretty well all ganders get aggressive in the winter and spring. What yours has done is the least of being aggressive.
Sounds like you may be better off getting another female African and finding a home for the gander..just my thoughts.
big_smile.png

Hi alogue, pretty well all ganders get aggressive in the winter and spring. What yours has done is the least of being aggressive.
Sounds like you may be better off getting another female African and finding a home for the gander..just my thoughts.  :D

I agree! Ganders just can't help themselves. My children are not so small so they are okay with my gander. He has never bit anyone but has been booted to the chest a few times this year when he wouldn't back down. He may be a grump now but my gander always is the first to follow me around the rest of the year.

I always tried to show my gander who is boss. Pick him up, hold him like a football and talk to him sweetly about what a pretty bird he is while petting him. Do that everyday and it will wear down his attitude (I think partly out of humiliation). Keep in mind this is mating season. He is just doing his job right now, but even outside mating season he will still play defense. I am grateful for my brave guy, who even chases dogs that get too close to our fence. If you want babies get a gander, but be ready to accept gander behavior. If you want a goose friend get another goose. :)

Good luck!

I always tried to show my gander who is boss. Pick him up, hold him like a football and talk to him sweetly about what a pretty bird he is while petting him. Do that everyday and it will wear down his attitude (I think partly out of humiliation). Keep in mind this is mating season. He is just doing his job right now, but even outside mating season he will still play defense. I am grateful for my brave guy, who even chases dogs that get too close to our fence. If you want babies get a gander, but be ready to accept gander behavior. If you want a goose friend get another goose. :)

Good luck!

Well said!

Thanks everyone. I am on a mission to win him over. I have notice that when I squat down to his level he doesn't seem intimidated and will quit hissing. He also seems to calm when I talk to him sweetly. I will give it a few weeks and see if he warms up to me. I really don't mind the hissing...just don't want him attacking me. I want him to be comfortable and feel at home.

Thanks everyone. I am on a mission to win him over. I have notice that when I squat down to his level he doesn't seem intimidated and will quit hissing. He also seems to calm when I talk to him sweetly. I will give it a few weeks and see if he warms up to me. I really don't mind the hissing...just don't want him attacking me. I want him to be comfortable and feel at home.
Sounds like he´s just nervous, not used to people, then. If he were aggressive he would show it when you get down to level. sounds promising, then. He shows respect, so you´re already ahead. have fun!

Back
Top Bottom