Toured the new prison yesterday

pdsavage

Sussex Monarch
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
NW,Missouri
Since my husband is a Correctional officer we got our own personal tour.

I could not belive how nice they will have it,the gym is what got me.
All my kids have done either basketball or cheerleading and I have seen some sad gyms,And to see that inmates get a better gym then our missouri kids is very sad indead.

http://www.chillicothenews.com/news/x593754690

Hi PDsavage, very much the same here in the UK the modern prisons are like 4* hotels.........it is no wonder that these days the prisons are overcrowded!..why be on the outside when there is such luxury available "inside" belies belief!!! But give your hubby are best wishes, it is not easy being in the prison service these days....bravo!

We have a maximum security state prison very near us and before it opened a few years ago, I toured it. Yes, it did have some nice features, and I do agree that people who have committed crimes should not have nicer facilities than our kids. That said, in spite of the prison being new, it was still a very grim place. It was an eye opening experience for me.

yuckyuck.gif

Yeah then they get the nice medical,I saw thier X-Ray room,mammogram room(its a womans prison) and a dentist office.There was more but I was like I don't even have medical cause it cost to much.
Yes I understand both sides I have family that are Correctional Officers and I have family that are/where Inmates.

Last edited:
I get frustrated with the system too, but then I think that I'd rather have the criminals in there and I'd rather be out here not matter what. At least, I can change my situation (maybe). I get to plan my own day.

Quote:
You don't get family medical coverage and your husband is a corrections officer! That is outrageous. I reread your post, that burns me. Family coverage should be available at a reasonable cost when someone is working. I have a 5 employee company that I own and I offer medical for my employee for free and we chose a plan with reasonable buy in rates for the family. We are looking into dental as well as a group buy in which makes it affordable. Ugh! That bugs me.

I once toured the Port Arther historic site....once the place convicts in Australia were sent when they re offended (they were sent to Australia after their first offense - many for just stealing a loaf of bread)....we are talking about the late 1800s.

While most buildings were in ruins, the 'model prison' was almost operational. 6 X 6 cells, prisoners wore no shoes so they did not make a sound, they had to wear masks when they were outside the cell so that no one could see who the others were. Even in church, each prisoner had a separate cubical so they could not see or talk to each other. Basically, life in there would have been hell. I bet you did not re offend for the third time.

My guess is that modern prisons are a little nicer. I think the real punishment is not being able to leave (and what other prisoners do to you once the lights are out).

Quote:
I agree with that.

I visited a new prison once (near Freeland, MI, I think...) and saw an area where there were toilets and showers right in the hallway with nothing blocking them for privacy. Basically, the prisoners had to do whatever with the guards and any other inmates who were walking by watching them.

I don't agree with inmates being given cable TV. We don't even have cable TV at our house. In the women's prison, they might be more concerned with health because some of the inmates might enter prison being pregnant (can you imagine starting life in a prison because your mom was an inmate? Some babies just get no chance in life; their parents have them set up for failure in life before they're even born...heh).

Back
Top Bottom