Towns in New England with recent chicken debates?

dweeter

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
HI everybody,
I am doing some research as a (hopefully) someday-chicken owner in a Connecticut town with a ban on chickens (Hamden), and as a college professor with an interest in land use debates like those over chicken ordinances.

I'm looking for information from other towns that have recently struggled with this issue both as a prelude to our approach here in Hamden and as part of a larger research project for my coursework.

Can any of you New Englanders out there point me to your town's debate?

Thanks

As a former Planning and Zoning member of a small MN town, and a current owner of a flock of 12, the planning and zoning problem is opening the doors in the city to livestock/pigs/goats and whatever. You would have at that time educated my that a few hens are not a problem, and that through rules hens could be a exception and not open the floodgate of what does belong on acerage.

Arlignton MA just voted YES
smile.png
to chickens last year at Town Meeting, here is a link to the official voting results from the town web site . That link has a summary of the bylaw. My town, Westwood MA, has allowed chickens for almost 10 years and here is a link to our bylaw , which I think is well written and reasonable.

Westwood is suburban with moderate density; Arlington is urban and densely populated, both are in the Boston area, so you'll see similairites but also differences in each bylaw.

Good Luck!
Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom