Toxic plants to wild ducks

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by mckenzie, Jul 4, 2011.

1. mckenzie

mckenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    I know elephant ears are poisonous but would my blue winged teals and wood ducks eat them? What about canna lilies? Any ideas for vining plants to plant in there also to shade the pen.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    wouldnt take the chance, from my experince with them, they'll eat anything green and not nailed down. Lost a beautiful smew drake one year from eating some form of purple berry. It was out side the pen, didnt even notice it, he found it and reached threw the wire to eat them, and he was a freaking smew, not even supposed to be a plant eater (they're fish eaters) Came home noticed him stumbling around with a purple mouth from them, was dead within a few minutes.

You live close to me, one thing I found vine wise that worked great for shade and didnt hurt them was wild grape vines. I let them grow over the netting and all, worked really well in shading the pens and providing cover in the aviaries. You can find them in the woods for free, and grow really fast down here. Do not use most any form of ivy, they are toxic too from what I've been told.

3. mckenzie

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    I was thinking about putting some purple climbing butter beans too.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep, they'd work too

5. mckenzie

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    Thank you. I will try it and see if it will work.

6. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    We planted something called a Tangerine vine... like a trumpter vine with big orange flowers.. They are growing really well and have been eating them some and nothing has died. I googled it and they are not poisonous.

I planted some day lillies and they have let them grow back up and haven't eaten them along with bamboo.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    pampass grass always worked well for me too. If you can get it started good where they dont just root it up, it's too tuff for them to chew up, makes great nest sites too

8. seaneduck

seaneduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    We have Virginia Creeper vines growing along the fences in our backyard, and they have a dark purple berry that is poisonous to humans, but my wood ducks and call ducks eat them off the ground with no ill results. It's mostly the wood ducks that eat them. I've transplanted one plant and have it growing up the side (and now top) of their enclosure.

9. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Here are a few links i use when i am wanting to buy new or replacement plants:

Safe plants:
    http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/plntsafe.htm

Safe and Toxic plants:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1912&aid=2236

Huge Toxic plant list with more detailed effects of the plants on birds:
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html#A

Toxic and Safe plants for Parrots:
    http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

Toxic and Non-Toxic plants for birds:
    http://www.wctropicalbird.com/bird education/bird education/toxic_plants.htm

When possible, try to reference plants at the store by scientific name, because some plants may be incorrectly labeled by common names at the stores, but be aware that the same goes for scientific names, so try to research some that you are planning to buy and make sure they look exactly the way they are supposed to.

I have a few Dragon Tree plants around the pond, 2 large Muhly Bamboo Grass plants and i recently bought some Fountain Grass.

I also put in 3 pieces of Monkey grass in a spot which they love to loaf in.

From what i have seen, a lot of grass plants are what you want to focus on as they will best match their habitats and are less likely to be toxic. I stay away from flowering plants in general.

Fortunately, my ducks don't eat the plants much. They nibble on them every now and then, but mostly only bother a Muhly Grass plant and one dragon tree plant when their leaves hang over the pond and the bird bath. I think they play with them rather than eat them at that point.

1 person likes this.
  10. mckenzie

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    Thanks for all the help with what plants to put in my pens they are full of calla lilies/ willow trees, and pampas grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by