Toys? :D

Hunny

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Forgive me if there is already a topic on this.

I was reading in my oh so helpful Chicken book, and read a little box "hint" on adding toys to the Brooding box. Thats it, thats all it said!
LOL

I would love for our little ladies to be friendly and entertained, and pet like. But the ultimate goal is to have some good egg layers. Do you provide any toys to your chicks? If so, what?
I considered walking down the "bird" section at Walmart, and picking up a mirror, or those hanging bells you put in bird cages. But I am still learning everything about my new hobby, so I want to do the right thing.

smile.png
What do you suggest?

I was thinking about a similar thing for my hens who are locked up in the coop with 3 feet of snow on the ground. Toys for the winter. Any ideas from anyone out there. I already put a ladder in for a week and leave it out for a couple just for something new.

For the chicks, some things to climb on or hide in. Some chopped hard boiled egg to play keep away with. Throw a few crickets in the brooder and watch the fun.
For the older hens, hanging cabbage or a head of brocolli to peck at. Crickets for them too.

I hung a little kitty ball with a bell in it in the play yard to play "tether ball", just high enough they have to jump to hit but not get tangled.

I also put large branches, de-leafed and de-twigged, in the play yard to perch on and hide under.

Back
Top Bottom