Toys

SuperLuke

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Is there any other toys I can make my chickens besides whats on the article? And how can I get my chickens to feel safe around me?

images

Welcome to BYC!

I use a ladder in my run for some entertainment and my birds love it...

I tried a swing not too long ago. Some people have had luck with them, but not so much for my birds. Keep it low to the ground, about 6 inches off the floor. You can use a 2x4 or a natural branch. Oh, and chickens LOVE mirrors. Get a old mirror and put it in your run and your birds will spend hours looking at themselves.

As for them trusting you, go sit with them on their level, the floor. Take some treats with you and toss some close to you. Try to hand feed them. Sit for 20 mins a day or more with them. It takes time for adult birds to warm up to you, but if you use food as an incentive, they will eventually be all over you to get the treats, and learn to trust you. Move slowly around them, don't pic them up much for a while and talk quietly to them. Just let them know you are safe to be around. They will come around eventually. Pretty soon they will be begging to sit on your lap. Some breeds are a little more skittish around people, and others are lap hounds.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

Hi there and welcome! I also use ladders. I provide a wheelbarrow with dirt so they can dust bathe. I hang greens from the celling, I provide toy bells and mirrors. And every once and while I just throw something new (a broom, old shoes, plastic bag, leaves, etc) in the run so they are never stuck with the same ol'e stuff!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! I really like a bale of hay/straw, just pitchfork it into a pile every now and then and they will start all over, toss some scratch into the pile.
TwoCrows gave you some good suggestions on taming your girls, patience is the key, it does take them awhile to get used to you.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I use a ladder in my run for some entertainment and my birds love it...

I tried a swing not too long ago. Some people have had luck with them, but not so much for my birds. Keep it low to the ground, about 6 inches off the floor. You can use a 2x4 or a natural branch. Oh, and chickens LOVE mirrors. Get a old mirror and put it in your run and your birds will spend hours looking at themselves.

As for them trusting you, go sit with them on their level, the floor. Take some treats with you and toss some close to you. Try to hand feed them. Sit for 20 mins a day or more with them. It takes time for adult birds to warm up to you, but if you use food as an incentive, they will eventually be all over you to get the treats, and learn to trust you. Move slowly around them, don't pic them up much for a while and talk quietly to them. Just let them know you are safe to be around. They will come around eventually. Pretty soon they will be begging to sit on your lap. Some breeds are a little more skittish around people, and others are lap hounds.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!
I'm totally going to put some mirrors out for the ladies. This would be fun to watch (and fun for the chickens). Excellent idea!
thumbsup.gif

- TieDyeMommy

I bet they would even like some of the toys sold for parrots. They would probably ring a bell and if they got rewarded for it - you could get them to do it on command.

Back
Top Bottom