1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TP folders....please check here

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Dec 26, 2007.

1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Who is doing the better job for the environment. The folders or scrunchers. In other words who is killing less trees?

Being a folder myself, I got to pondering this question while spending some time on the throne. So for all you folders, how many sheets approx. are you using with this method. My avg. seems to be the length from the holder to the floor, which is 7-8 sheets of 2 ply tissue.

I'm betting the scrunchers have to use way more than this. Let's decide once and for all which is the more environmentally friendly technique.

**LEGAL DISCLAIMER** The author is not not trying to convert scrunchers to folders, & is merely trying to unravel what he considers to be one of the great mysteries of life.

2. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    4-5 sheets for "#1", and 6 for the"dirty deed" And as a girl, I can tell you it varies with certain conditions.

3. crazy4chicsinBC

crazy4chicsinBC Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2007
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    OMG
    Its 5am here, and much to early for this conversation.

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I will say for now that I think I use 5 sheets.
    I will confirm this in the morning after my first coffee, which is when my body wakes up.!!!
    [​IMG]

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Well, I have to say - I'm with Gracie on that one.

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Had I not awaken to an emergency situation and been able to read this first, I could have told you. I'll have to give you my answer later.

(I cannot believe I'm actually replying to these posts...[​IMG])

7. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    3-4 sheets for #1. It depends for "the other". The variable would be the ply and thickness. Scott brand is probably the most efficient, but I've been getting Seventh Generation recently in an effort to be greener. The SG rolls are smaller and the paper is thinner, so I'm not sure if the environmental impact is significant considering the job can be done with less paper of the Scott brand. Opinions, please?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't know either since each brand of tissue has a different texture and thickness. I know if I have Charmin, I use about half the sheets, but it is like 4 times thicker. What about cottenelle? Isn't that cotton based? Or is the name a misdemeanor? And then theres the crappy thin stuff that you have to use like half the roll. Time to bring out the gram scales!!!

And if you fold, can't you fold over again after the first wipe depending? If you are a scruncher, you have to toss after the wipe right? What is net paper usage?

We could all get the water based squirt washer toilets!

9. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    3 sheets unless I have the scours, and even then I'll keep it less than 6 since IMO there's not much need to use more when there's a sink with soap and water right next to the toilet when one is finished.

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Quote:5AM is too early for anything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by