Tracks in the Snow

I'm doing the Google now and don't see any record of mink in the county I am. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't there.
I love my cameras.
I would like to set some up to record this interesting little critter. First time I've ever seen them in the wild. I think there were pups/kits as I could hear faint splashing and cries coming from the den. I also offered the frozen frog as an apology for disturbing it.

I would like to set some up to record this interesting little critter. First time I've ever seen them in the wild. I think there were pups/kits as I could hear faint splashing and cries coming from the den.
Soooo...do you know what it is?

I also offered the frozen frog as an apology for disturbing it.
I found a live frog in the snow during a thaw last year.
Nowhere near any water, but tree frog.

Soon as it hit my warm hand it jumped away.
1614267895056.png

Next to my shoe.
1614267919647.png

Apparently Florida has mink as well. Appears to be natural populations.
https://myfwc.com/research/wildlife/terrestrial-mammals/mink-sightings/
I'm pretty sure that was the same link posted previously by another BYC member. Cedar Key is one place that was mentioned in the article which is around an hour away from us. We are on a hill and there is a fresh water lake at the bottom of the hill. Lots of wildlife around the lake so if they are there, there is probably enough food for them. There are bass tournaments held on the lake. Lots of fish, frogs and a lot of other wildlife. Another place mentioned is the Ocala National Forest which is around an hour away. There is a lot of natural wildlife and a river that runs through the forest. There is a park there so I imagine there is plenty of natural things for them to eat there. I hope they don't show up here. We have coyotes, bobcats, fox among other critters. The coyotes are at the top of the food chain here. We were overloaded with coyotes as nothing preys on them. One of our neighbors had several coyote dens on his property and he let some hunters on this property. Prior I would see coyotes nightly on my cameras but since very few sightings. They must of scored. Here are some I was seeing on a regular basis. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and I'm sure they know it. I think the adults teach the young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for.

Soooo...do you know what it is?

I know what the tracks are but I figured this would be a fun exercise for some of you experienced trackers.

Indeed. I saw the slippery little critter sliding down the bank and ducking under the ice. I wish I could have grabbed a picture, but my roommate who accompanied me cannot be quiet, and my hands were very cold and it was very quick, but it was a North American River Otter. 🥰 I did some reading on them. They are interesting creatures.

Back
Top Bottom