tractor during the day and coop at night?

Here is my chicken tractor:

17431_chickentractorx.jpg

How do I get them "dirty and scruffy" so they will lay eggs?

Thanks! I like purple and green. They crawl up in their nest at night and I pull up the ladder for a snug-tight compartment to sleep. I open it in the am and they scramble out. I am trying to let them free range outside the stagecoach when the cats are in the house.

Here are views of how it works. Pretty snazzy if I do say so:

http://www.chickenmobilestagecoach.com/id69.html

Those three in the tractor/stagecoach are about 6 months old, the seller told me. Two Delaware Reds and one white Silkie. He said they should start laying any day and that was about 3 weeks ago. I feed them 20% layer pellets, oatmeal, oyster shells and cracked corn at will.

The thing is, they look so perfect and very shiny feathered. Not a broken feather or a bit of dirt on them. I read where they have to be scruffy and dirty to lay eggs. How do I scuff them up some?
roll.png

Last edited:
Sovia you can teach them for sure. I think it will be easier teaching them to go in at night that go into the tractor during the day but you can do it, I did it with my girls.

I started out by carrying the girls out the tractor in the morning and bringing them back in the evening. Before long, they would wait for me to open the brooder be picked up then they would fly to the tractor and wait to go inside. At night they followed me back to the brooder.

They like routine so once you establish the routine, they will be happy with it. They do not like change much though. LOL

SharonX be careful feeding them layer pellets if they are not laying and giving calcium...they do not need it until they begin laying and it can be harmful to them.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cetawin. I removed the pellet tray. They have not been very interested in the pellets so I guess that may be why. They sure like asparagus ends and celery tops though.

Thanks for everyones replies (and especially pics) thus far. From reading these, it does seem very possible to do so I just need to get busy and PLAN! Have a great day everyone.

If you have mtn lions they may come in your yard during the day. They steal dogs from peoples yards in Colorado Springs co. Make sure it is anchored to prevent tipping etc. Can they dig under it. I would hate for your little ones to get hurt while you are gone. The tractor looks great I might try it but with a partial floor of wire around the outside edge to discourage any digging under. Sounds great. The treat Idea works to get the hens almost anywhere. Jean

SharonX, chickens don't need to be scruffy or dirty, to lay eggs. If your chickens are that young, they should have great feathers, because they haven't had them that long! They are around laying age, but every chicken starts laying when it is her own time. Moving chickens to a new home can disrupt a chicken, also. Just be good to them and try to be patient. They will lay some eggs for you soon. I know the waiting is painful!

Sovia, I hope you have a great time when you get your chickens!

WoodlandWoman,

Thank you. I just read in my "Raising Poultry" book that chickens who are very clean with smooth feathers rarely lay eggs, while scruffy dirty ones are good layers.

I think having them in the stagecoach all day and night was making them be fit for show (clean and perfectly groomed), but I think now that they stay in the yard all day, and can dig dirt baths all over, is helping them on the way to being "scruffy and dirty".
smile.png

I am patient. I am just trying to make sure they are having their needs met in order to eventually produce a few eggs.

Back
Top Bottom