Tractor or permanent run/coop?

You've had an experience that very few people have had, and you helped the fawn, but I am sure that it was hard to loss it. Good for you for trying though.

Welcome to BYC! I have what I call a coop tractor. It's large enough for me to stand up in/ has a standard size door, hip roof, plenty of perches and a "salon" or I call living room then they're nesting boxes (3), so it's like a little town house. I attach a moveable run to that and they can run around or stay under cover. I lock them up every nite at bed time.I really like the setup but the draw back is my DH has to move it for me. I live in an urban setting right now. It's all about combining your needs with the hens. Good luck!

I think I will go with a permanent coop to start with and if I can afford add a tractor later on. I do intend to have a covered run. Now my decision is to build it in the spot that is better for summer, or the winter spot. The winter spot has shade pretty much all day as it would be on the north side of the garage. But it would be protected from winter winds and I could bring electricity to the coop quite easily during winter without running an extension cord. Being closer to the house, it would be easier to go out to attend to the chickens when we have sub-zero weather. I wish I could figure out a way to keep the water from freezing that didn't involve an extension cord. My husband doesn't think that would be safe.

I'm using a heated dog bowl, its only 40 watts so it won't come close to heating up the cord. I also installed a GFI outlet where I have the coop plugged in. I have only been chickening for about 8 months but my unsolicited advice is GO BIG. I'm already looking at expanding or building a new coop. I can't come close to using the 90+ eggs a month my 4 chickens produce but its fun to give them to friends and neighbors. Its really not in my nature to go overboard on stuff but I have ordered 15 chicks coming next month.

I'm using a heated dog bowl, its only 40 watts so it won't come close to heating up the cord. I also installed a GFI outlet where I have the coop plugged in. I have only been chickening for about 8 months but my unsolicited advice is GO BIG. I'm already looking at expanding or building a new coop. I can't come close to using the 90+ eggs a month my 4 chickens produce but its fun to give them to friends and neighbors. Its really not in my nature to go overboard on stuff but I have ordered 15 chicks coming next month.

I concur. I want more hens/space. Shoulda, woulda, coulda!!!

"It's all about combining your needs with the hens." That is a bit of wisdom right there. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. "Going big" is also a great idea. I am going to build it as big as my budget will allow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom