Tractor questions

Lets say I skip the wire in the floor, my ground is pretty uneven, I see where I would have low spots that would let something crawl under the side?

I do plan on putting a small coop on one end, I would have boxes for the eggs to be layed there.
And I plan to shut them in at night. It's the time during the day I'm at work that bothers me...

I don't worry about much during the day - at least not about something crawling under the bottom of a tractor. Those critters are mostly night time problems...

UncleHoot - did you catch my question in my earlier post in this thread?

Quote:
If you have a wire skirt around the tractor, that will take care of low spots, even if you may have to put a brick or whatnot on it to keep it in the dips. (Be aware a tractor will not work well on really lumpy ground tho). Or, some people just pile bricks or firewood against the gap betwen the tractor's frame and the ground - it's not as secure but it depends what predators you have and how serious they are. Daytime is not as big a problem usually as nighttime. Depends where you live and what the predator situation is like.

Pat

I am making a 6' x 8' tractor also and it looks like it will be on the heavy side and I am building it on my driveway and when it's done I will need to move it out to the backyard.

My question is how do you put wheels on one end so you can move it around? I bought some lawnmower wheels for a dollar each at a hardware store and I haven't figured out how I will attach them so I can move it around. Any suggestions?

Jayare

We use tractors for our meat birds and while I can't answer all of your questions because I didn't build them (dh built them mostly our of scrap wood), I thought they might help to see a visual. I know both ends open for easier catching and filling of feed and water. And they are easily moved onto fresh grass daily..no wire on the floor, however we do put 4X4's against the edges to keep predators out. We also cover the wire top on very hot, sunny days to keep it cooler for them.

tractor.jpg

Newtractorgoldie.jpg

Jody

when your tractor is all built and your ready to put your wheels on your going to want to lift up the end for the wheels with a board.This way it's jacked up off the ground alittle(maybe1 1/2")then when you put your wheels on and slide the board out the wheels will hold your tractor slightly off the ground with no drag.If you don't do this your be dragging on the bottom of the tractor and not the on wheel.(hope your wheel centers are metal.)I hope this helps and hope you show us when your done. will
pen.jpg

Thanks Jody & Will,
I got a couple ideas now about how to do the wheels. I don't have the wheel shafts just the wheel itself. I will check with my brother in law (who has a lawn mowing buisness) and see if he has any extras laying around or maybe just buy some all thread and a few nuts and washers and attatch them somehow.

Thanks again.
Jayare

J, you can take your wheel with you to the hardware store and find a bolt long enough for what you need, you will not ahve to go with all thread.

Great picks everyone, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom