1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractor supply Chicks... Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by onionheadtg2014, Feb 28, 2015.

1. onionheadtg2014

onionheadtg2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    Hi Yesterday I bought 13 chicks at TSC and 7 Ducklings. I would like to find out the breeds. I kind of have an idea but not completely sure... I believe that I have Blue Orpingtons, A Golden Laxed Wyandotte, White rocks, A buff cochin, and not sure of the rest 3 of the blue are standard size and 3 are bantams.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I will admit,I need better pictures,but for now,one of the most basic things you must know is,most chicks from Tractor Supplies are never pure bred,but always are beautiful.Lots of times,kids will pick chicks up,and aaccidentally or purposely put chicks in the wrong spot.

P.s,I am not saying you shouldn't ever buy chicks from TSC again,just saying,it's something that's common....;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Two in the back are RIR.

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I can see the red.ones and,they have white on the wings.
    In all respect it is not a RIR I wouldn't guess.
    I have raised Red Birds millions of times and did my research.Just wanted to add,a RIR is darker andllikely (should) have black spots going down it's wings/back.:)

(Just some helpful information)

5. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Remember these are hatchery quality birds not breeder quality. I've had hatchery salmon faverolles that were red. It could possibly be a New Hampshire red since they have a lot more yellow coloring than red when they are chicks but at the end of the day a RIR, RSL, and NHR will all look and lay fairly consistently.

6. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

These are breeder stock RIR's and even they have white/cream wing feathers.

7. ASilkieNest

ASilkieNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Michigan
    TSC I think now puts up a fence between u and the chicks. My TSC won't let you touch the chicks until you pay for them. But sometimes the workers might throw the chicks in the wrong bin. My TSC had a bin full of EE pullets. But there was also a chick that looked like it wasn't supposed to be in there. It looked like a buff Orpington. When I bought my chicks a got that one because I really wanted a buff. So I got it. Anyway you don't always know for sure, but they do turned out lovely.

8. ASilkieNest

ASilkieNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Michigan
    I want your duckies! They're adorable!

9. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Oh,I see now,thanks!

10. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog

True.But,I don't think it stops them.My TSC has a fence,but you can jump it or even reach and grab chicks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by