Tractor Supply chicks: Breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShadyHillFarm, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    I purchased 8 pullets from tractor supply and I was wondering if someone might know what breeds they are. I also suspect the first one might be a rooster, though it is a little too early to tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three of these:

[​IMG]

Two of these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    From TSC the reds are probably some sort of Production Red/ Rhode Island Red, agree the first one looks like a cockerel. The black one also looks like a cockerel, could be a Production Black, or Black Australorp (white feet /Jersey Giant (yellow feet) (what color are the bottoms of his feet). The last maybe a Partridge Plymouth Rock.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, TSC doesn't have Rhode Island Reds as the hatcheries from whence the chicks come do not have them. Production reds are very, very common feed store/hatchery sourced "red" chicks.

The chicks will show themselves to be what they will be.

I do agree that a red comb and red wattles sprouting on any chick under 10 weeks of age is a very sure sign of a cockerel.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. NorthmenFeather

NorthmenFeather Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    What other breeds are there at tracktor supply

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Ask the store manager.

TSC sources from a half dozen hatcheries throughout the country. Not every situation is universally the same, so answering your question is virtually impossible. Best thing to do is simply call or stop by your local TSC and ask.

6. ShadyHillFarm

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    I will definitely be checking feet later! I wouldn't mind a few Australorps. I thought that's what the last one was. I wished I'd gotten more of those.

I wonder if TSC has any sort of guarantee for their chicks/pullets? Particularly since ours is completely locked up and limited to employees only (no customers handling/misplacing). Not sure I will buy from them again. For me, I needed all pullets and I've never had this problem w/ Meyer's. It's just that $$$ shipping.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Probably not. Even hatcheries only offer only offer a 90% sexing guarantee and TSC doesn't sex them, so... My local TSC doesn't even offer to replace chicks if they die within a day or two of being bought.

8. ShadyHillFarm

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia

And good luck having someone there who knows! If it's not on their pre-printed sign, most have no clue. [​IMG]

9. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    My understanding is that it's going to depend store-to-store, and that a store could basically have anything that's on the order form (depending on what that manager chose to get).

https://www.tractorsupply.com/openc...tral/ChickDays2013_Special_Order_Brochure.pdf

As to the Production/Rhode Island Red issue - it could be either, they're both on the order form.

Point is - I'd be astounded if TSC gave you a refund.

Here's Ideal's policy:
    Quote:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  10. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I called tsc once and asked to speak to whoever was handling the chick sales,and when I asked what breed of chicks they had they told me red ones and yellow ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by