Tractor Supply Chicks Not Being Taken Care Of

My opinion, this is one reason to patronize local stores or small hatcheries by mail.

Sometimes this is impractical. But I think it should be the first choice for most anything.

Problem with larger retailers or government is slow reaction times. Large retailers have compartmentalized tasks to such a degree that many people donā€™t know the whole process or why they do it. Highly efficient, but not ideal for adapting as you have to retrain 1,000s of employees on new, compartmentalized tasks.

I bet the TSC employees responsible were given a 10 minute power point or video on You, Chicks and the Brooder. And handed off to someone with the same training and some experience.

I am thankful that my local regional chain has a couple of cute chicken enthusiast ladies running the show. Clean, the chicks are happy and the gals steer folks away from bad choices.

Hi DA in AZ,
I'm scratching my head, thinking, hm, as I was in T. S. last Saturday and they had two tower brooders with not all sections filled with chicks One tower had ducklings and the other chickens. I heard that familiar pasty butt chirp from a chick, "cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep" the sound they make during a painful defecation, and noticed the one chick looking miserable and all of the other chicks were huddled under the black rubber heated pad. This is the first year our T.S. has had the towers. They appear clean. When I bought my six Americanaus from them last February and got them home in their heated brooder, within two days I was using tepid water and a cotton ball to remove the stuck on poop masses as four of the six got pasty butt. They were fine the next day. They are obviously getting stressed, but to point to what, who knows. The chicks all appeared to be a couple days old at the store. Oh, and I found out our local T.S. gets them from Hoover's Hatchery. Just seeing how most of the levels of chicks were huddled, I would think that the brooder heating device is junky overseas made stuff. At least a heat lamp is pretty dependable in how much heat it puts out. I'll be sure to sign the petition. Thanks for the heads up.

I would if itā€™s going to save a life.
its true but a lot of times it is totally dependent on management and whether they are allowed to use their on-the-clock time to do this. There are a lot of flaws with larger chain stores management systems that allow stuff like this to happen. A lack of knowledge combined with numbers driven goals will result in stuff like this. They don't even care about correct breed labeling a lot of the time because it doesn't seem to effect their sales.

Back
Top Bottom