Tractor Supply Chicks Not Being Taken Care Of

We don't have a TSC here, just local feed stores. From what I have read the pasty butt is due to more extreme cold or hot fluctuations and this can happen during shipping which we all know has become slower and slightly insane these last few years. I have noticed some of our feed stores have slowed bringing chicks in after a few rough and questionable deliveries. My last order I swore was going to be my last order after seeing the trauma from the shipping and even losing one after all hands on deck. It is a lot to ask of those little fragile infant creatures.
Being on an island I decided to start to incubate more than a few of my eggs to help out during these difficult times- that are getting closer to being behind us!- There is a BIG difference between a chick who has had to spend the first few days getting shoved in a box and put on a plane vs one who lovingly hatches and gets constant and immediate care.
I think it is good that folks call TSC to the mat but with informed understanding. Yes, TSC is providing a service. They probably are not making but a dime off of each chick if that, it is more than likely supplying the feed, feeders, grit, fencing and tools that are a easier shippable and storable product that keeps their lights on.
Maybe it is more of a rescue than an adoption in those circumstances. I am really impressed that they are making the necessary changes due to the pressure. Mice moving mountains!!! Bravo gang.

Last edited:
We don't have a TSC here, just local feed stores. From what I have read the pasty butt is due to more extreme cold or hot fluctuations and this can happen during shipping which we all know has become slower and slightly insane these last few years. I have noticed some of our feed stores have slowed bringing chicks in after a few rough and questionable deliveries. My last order I swore was going to be my last order after seeing the trauma from the shipping and even losing one after all hands on deck. It is a lot to ask of those little fragile infant creatures.
Being on an island I decided to start to incubate more than a few of my eggs to help out during these difficult times- that are getting closer to being behind us!- There is a BIG difference between a chick who has had to spend the first few days getting shoved in a box and put on a plane vs one who lovingly hatches and gets constant and immediate care.
I think it is good that folks call TSC to the mat but with informed understanding. Yes, TSC is providing a service. They probably are not making but a dime off of each chick if that, it is more than likely supplying the feed, feeders, grit, fencing and tools that are a easier shippable and storable product that keeps there lights on.
Maybe it is more of a rescue than an adoption in those circumstances. I am really impressed that they are making the necessary changes due to the pressure. Mice moving mountains!!! Bravo gang.
You're right, there's a huge difference between hatching your own eggs and receiving day-old chicks in the mail. My hatchlings are thriving and acting like chickens in ways my shipped chicks never did. And their feathers are so luxurious by comparison. I think that's a huge sign of a thriving flock.

Attachments

• C9004F9F-5CD1-4353-AA03-6572695C86A3.jpeg
    C9004F9F-5CD1-4353-AA03-6572695C86A3.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 7
You're right, there's a huge difference between hatching your own eggs and receiving day-old chicks in the mail. My hatchlings are thriving and acting like chickens in ways my shipped chicks never did. And their feathers are so luxurious by comparison. I think that's a huge sign of a thriving flock.
I am glad you are able to hatch your own. It is awesome on many levels with the exception of getting "stuck" with the boys. :thThen keeping the "right" breeds... I tell ya, feed stores only charging only $5. with all of the costs and losses along the way... incredible.
My local feed stores are happy I am hatching eggs and offer my number to people looking. Right now they get very limited once maybe 2x per year and these short orders are gobbled up.
I really don't have the room or deep pockets to do more and I do for the love of the chicken- and to have more than a barnyard, dealing with the people is unrealistic and unflattering because they don't know better. Well, it is what it is ;) :D and that ain't bad.

Last edited:
TSC update:

I went there today to get some feed and noticed that they went back to the metal tub brooders in a giant cage and the chicks and ducklings were thriving with no sign of pasty butts. Thank gawd they did that, it was depressing having to see them in the death towers.

That's a win for all animal lovers who voiced there concerns to TSC.
I Thank you. 😊

Not good. I was the Tractor Supply on Buckeye, AZ today. I was there to buy Equine Senior and on my way to the register I stopped to look at the chicks. It’s horrible, every chick in the stacked brooder had pasty butt really extremely bad! There was an store worker cleaning the plastic on the brooder. I advised her about the chicks condition also of the one dead that was being trampled on, flat! I asked to speak to the store manager. I informed the store manager, Mark, that the chicks were not being taking care of because every single chick had extreme pasty butt.something wrong with
these brooder because I have never seen TSC chicks look this way. The store manager said he will get someone to take care of them. I can’t believe no one working there knew this already!!! I purchased 6 just to try to save their lives. I took them home and cleaned them up and they are now under a heat lamp sleeping. If anyone is in the Buckeye area please go by and take a look. Please let them know this isn’t right.
I agree, it is SO SAD:hitto see chicks suffering at Tractor Supply, it makes me super mad:mad:. Sometimes I am tempted to take the chicks myself and clean them off in the bathroom. They should have someone monitor that and make sure that doesn't happen. There would be so many less casualties if they did. They should hire people to clean the chicks, it's so easy and takes no time at all :(. I'd gladly take a job there even if it meant just doing that.

I am glad you are able to hatch your own. It is awesome on many levels with the exception of getting "stuck" with the boys. :thThen keeping the "right" breeds... I tell ya, feed stores only charging only $5. with all of the costs and losses along the way... incredible.
My local feed stores are happy I am hatching eggs and offer my number to people looking. Right now they get very limited once maybe 2x per year and these short orders are gobbled up.
I really don't have the room or deep pockets to do more and I do for the love of the chicken- and to have more than a barnyard, dealing with the people is unrealistic and unflattering because they don't know better. Well, it is what it is ;) :D and that ain't bad.
You'll always be stuck with boys if you raise Crevecoeurs because as good as I am figuring it out in the first week, I knew six chicks had more than one roo and yep, at 3 months my favorite hen's tail feathers started looking exactly like her brother's. 😫 But the boy surprise is the roo I'm keeping.

I agree, it is SO SAD:hitto see chicks suffering at Tractor Supply, it makes me super mad:mad:. Sometimes I am tempted to take the chicks myself and clean them off in the bathroom. They should have someone monitor that and make sure that doesn't happen. There would be so many less casualties if they did. They should hire people to clean the chicks, it's so easy and takes no time at all :(. I'd gladly take a job there even if it meant just doing that.
The folks at my TSC keep chickens and have land, so maybe it depends on where you live--? They know what to do with chicks here, but corporate is in charge.

On the one hand, it would be a shame if TSC decided selling chicks is more trouble than it's worth, and simply stopped.

On the other hand, some care is basic. Feeding them takes time. Watering them takes time. Cleaning them takes time. All three are basic to having them, and part of the duties they undertook.

If the store doesn't seem genuinely interested in addressing the issue, I'd remind them of the state's animal cruelty laws.

I don't think TSC (local or national) wants the PR of animal cruelty charges.

The flip side, again, is we may see them disappear from the stores.

Our Tractor Supply has gotten rid of the new brooder in the past couple days. They’ve got the usual heat lamp setup now
I've noticed that at the Fredericksburg, VA TSC yesterday. The veritical brooder was replaced with the galvanized tubs they used in the past. In addition to any improvement in the chicks' quality of life, it makes for a more appealing display, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom