Tractor Supply Chicks the week before Easter?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
This is the first year our TSC has been open for chick days, and they are advertising having all sorts of chicks for Easter. Does anyone know if they normally get in more "exotic" breeds or do they just have lots and lots of the normal red pullets, assorted pullets, etc? and do they normally have them as soon as the store opens, or do they come later in the day or? I'm trying to find some more silkies....

Do you know what hatchery the chicks come from? I work at the local TSC in Kentucky and we go get a few silkies in with the assorted bantams. There have been shipments of speckled sussex, golden laced wyandottes and things like that as well.

I don't know what hatchery, I'm in nothern CA if anyone knows what we get... As for asking- last time I was in there someone was asking if they had any Barred Rocks- 3 different people told her that all they had were "Straight Runs"... I've asked them questions too and i just get blank stares back... Oh and the first tiem I went in I had to teach them what a silkie looked like, I asked if they had any they tried to give me white legged, 4 toed, feather-less legged things...

TSC chick days run through April 13. They get the shipments in at the Post Office in the morning, but our local store has been varied on which day of the week. Typically Monday though. In the past month, I have stopped in every Monday afternoon. I have seen Ameraucana, Orpington, Tetra Tint, lots of Red Sex link and Cornish Rock cross. If you check the TSC website, there is a breed description list. If it is on the list, there is a chance they will get it in store. I think someone in our NY thread said they did see silkies in a store near Albany. But mostly standard brown eggs layers is what my local store carries.

my store says they will only have them through the 9th, they are advertising them 4th-9th right now, which makes me think they'll be getting a shipment in tomorrow. Last time I went there i came home with 6 bantams that I have no idea what they are... I just really want some silkies! LOL. I've had bad luck with silkies, 4/5 I've gotten were boys, i figure with their cheap prices, I can grab all the silkies that they have, and maybe get me some girls in there...

I know the Tractor Supply near us got their chicks from McMurray this year for the most part. Last year they had some from Ideal and another one. It may depend where it is located. Also the employees usually do not know alot about the chicks. I have a friend who is a store manager and she knows more than some of the others because she wanted to help her customers. Most of the employees in another store know quite a bit because many of them own their own chickens, but this is more of a country area store. I do love when they have straight run with Golden Comets (sex-linked chicks). When we used to buy from them, I would do research before or while I was there with the different breeds available. good luck finding some. Also sometimes you can find silkie chicks on craigslist.

I don't know what hatchery, I'm in nothern CA if anyone knows what we get... As for asking- last time I was in there someone was asking if they had any Barred Rocks- 3 different people told her that all they had were "Straight Runs"... I've asked them questions too and i just get blank stares back... Oh and the first tiem I went in I had to teach them what a silkie looked like, I asked if they had any they tried to give me white legged, 4 toed, feather-less legged things...
I know what you mean, it can be a pretty big crap shoot with the employees there. I guess we may have lucked out (phew) at ours with some pretty knowledgeable guys. Happy hunting!

Well I'm home with 6 1-day old SIlkie chicks!!! One of the guys there that I see almost every time I go in (2-3xs a week checking since they were getting small shipments in several days a week...) let me go in the back where they had gotten the new HUGE shipment in for Easter sicne the chick weren't out yet, and let me look through them all, I grabbed all 6 they had :)

I also ended up with 3 month-ish old ducks since they were on "clearance" for $1.50 each, I'd been watching them grow up all moth and since no one was going to take them with all the new babies there...

And 2 red pullets for my neighbor who wants me to raise them for him.

And then I rescued 4 red pullets that had huge open wounds on them that no one was going to do anyhting about! Several people complained about it while I was there and the manager just had the guy take them in the back to be dealt with later... So the guy boxed them up and snuck them out to me for free. :)

Anyone who was counting, that's 3 ducks and 12 chicks that came home today, on top of the 9 3-week olds i got already... AND they are ALL in my room!!! UGH. I've got to find a better brooder for the babies, they're in plastic tubs that they'll jump out of in a couple days, but it'll do for now. And the ducks are in a dog crate and are big enough I think they'll be fine without a heat lamp, it's 70 in my room right now so...

Back
Top Bottom