Tractor Supply federal tracking!?

Southern States here only sells buggy feed so I refuse to buy there anymore. TSC allows everyone to handle the chicks and because of that, I would never buy chicks from them. What if some kid handled a sick bird, then went to TSC and played with all the chicks? You buy it, take it home, infect your flock and there you have it. It's a great way to spread disease! Hey, maybe that's why they push antibiotics at you when you buy chicks there, hmm. Nope, just say NO to TSC. Here, they are the most expensive place.

Price wise they are reasonable, but I'm not happy with the selection of feed here in Reading. In NC I had better options. I also would use the local feed store that was a SS dealer cause they were a mile from the house and had EVERYTHING!!!

We moved up here and I can't find a good, proper feed store to save my life! I thought I was in PA horse country?? I actually placed a internet order with a company back in KY that I used to shop in - They have reasonable tack prices. Try finding a real, well made, leather halter up here - Not happening!

I am excited that I'll only have to go 45 minutes to buy good feed. But again, the supplier is a feed company from my home town in KY! They just ship to the place up here.

What the heck happened to all the good mom and pop feed stores? I guess all the mass produced "box stores" have run them off? Thank you Petsmart and TSC, for killing the competition and then offering substandard products in return!!!

well anytime you have chicks for sale anywhere the general public comes then children will be present. i worked at a feed store for 3 years and anytime we got chicks youd see the kids go straight to them. so if you are wanting to break that chain you just have to get them from the hatchery or person who raises them with no kids around lol. i think the biggest spreader of disease in that situation is improper care and bad conditions for the chicks.

No, TSC could use brooders, but no, they use these huge stock tanks with no screens over them. My local feedstores use a stack brooder and/or plexiglass tanks with screens over them and there is a sign that says, "No handling chicks!". No kid has to ever touch a chick in a feedstore.

lucky you. i dont know of any around here like that. but this is cattle country. chickens are an accomidation for a feed store around here because they dont make any money off them. they make the money off the waterers feed lights etc. but i will say one thing about having them open like we do down here we sell them so much the hatcheries cant keep up. most people i know wont buy something unless they can inspect it.kinda impersonal.

The only problem is that many of those folks will be have disease introduced into their flocks because of this very thing. Impersonal or not, I think it's a terrible way to sell chicks. I hope others will refuse to buy them unless they keep the public from handling them.

well tractor supply sucks anyways. its got good selection as far as supplies but i wouldnt buy another chick or feed there. they have people who know nothing about farming working there. but i will say this about our local feed stores we have a good handle on disease control and it can be spread anyways no matter how safe you keep them or what you kee[p them in

Quote:
Mom & Pop stores, well we own one. Here is a short short on what has/is happening:
1. Box Stores:
a: we use them as suppliers to a degree
b: we KNOW what we are doing and provide service and local knowledge
c: provide quality over quantity
d: this changes from year to year, so we keep RECORDS of what sold us vs them and ADAPT each year.
e: The Mom & Pops who dont study/walk thru/cost efficiency/provide service/provide FREE things that are cost efficient/have employees that are paid better and CARE where they work and is not just a job.

2. Substandard products:
a: HR 875, This proposed bill will have a profound effect on all consumers who have a garden/back yard chickens/small farms/ANY organic small farm operation and "Mom & Pop" stores.
b: This bill is being pushed thru congress on a "fast track proposal" before opposition can be gathered/lobbied for buy the large agricultural conglomerates.
c: When passed this will drive "Mom & Pop's" further underground as a "cash only/barter" type system. This exists somewhat now but will only be enhanced if this legislation passes.
d: Have had many conversations with our state legislators in our part of Texas and this is currently "voluntary" and will become mandantory when the federal bill is passed.

In summary, "Mom & Pop's" like us will adapt. This is our LIFE and NO ONE will regulate us out of it. We CARE for our customers MORE than any government agency ever will.
We supply organic products to our customers and would not sell them anything we did not consume ourselves.

We have spent the last several months adapting our "Mom & Pop" business to this new reality and the tax laws that are/will be applicable.

If anyone here is interested in preserving your ability to have backyard chickens and selling to the general public you should call your local federal congressional representatives and get the specifics as much as they will tell you. Press them on the issue since the whole bill is currently written as somewhat non specific but up to interpretation by YOUR state and federal representatives.

Ultimately not so short, but you will get the gist when you try and have a comprehensible conversation with your state and federal representatives. They have your best interests in mind while reaching for your wallet...

I guess im one of the lucky ones on here. The feed store I go to is a mom and pop store....hell more of a whole family store. Everyone out there is great and if they dont know the answer they will find it out for me. They dont have a problem calling someone to get info. As far as a minimum for chick days....we didnt have one, didnt have to sign any papers. I was already planning on getting 10 chicks and 2 ducks and had prepaid for them. My buddy went in later and got just 2 ducks.

Back
Top Bottom