Tractor Supply federal tracking!?

My supply store asked me for my info and I just gave them my old address from 5 years ago. Thats none of their buisness. I am glad for the 6 min. to keep people from buying 1 for their kids. However if you are a regular and am purchasing feed by the 50 pound you should have no min. But I am done buying birds at the feed store. I am interested in higher quality show birds.

Quote:
NPIP is voluntary and they do not track people who are registered. I am a NPIP tester. NPIP is about salmonella in the food chain.

You are more likely to find it is states that want to enforce NAIS programs. That is where you should be worried.

More regulations = less freedom. I'm almost NEVER for it. I don't think we can or should try to protect everyone from themselves. I don't want to see baby chicks abused any more than anyone else, but I don't like the 6 minimum rule at all.

Quote:
NPIP is voluntary and they do not track people who are registered. I am a NPIP tester. NPIP is about salmonella in the food chain.

You are more likely to find it is states that want to enforce NAIS programs. That is where you should be worried.

Oops I meant NAIS. I knew NPIP is the Salmonella testing. I had to have my birds tested to sale them at the auction a few weeks ago.
smile.png
Sorry for my typo.

Quote:
Oh, i know you are right about this. I got the "lecture" from my small town vet about culling, antibiotics and passing sick or carrier (disease) birds.

It is just that the feds want taxes. i really do not think they are going after an outbreak. This would be for the locals or some other division of the federal or local government.

People down here are telling of the feds going to the local beef auctions. Whether this is a crock is another question.

Quote:
The city where I work does indeed teach the children where their food comes from. Most of the elementary and middle schools have an "edible schoolyard" where the children learn to garden, and cook what they harvest. They also have flocks of chickens in many of these gardens. This is a public education system. It does happen. Just not often.

I am not for the 6 chick minimum, because I am an urban chicken owner. The limits for urban chickens vary, but are frequently less than 6. As soon as you buy a lot of 6 chicks, you would be breaking the law. I have only 4 chickens. I live alone, so that is plenty for just me. I give away eggs to family and friends as they accumulate.

I don't think the tracking is about disease prevention or control. While it may have begun as something like that, most government information systems are not for our benefit. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Thanks for all the responses! I have a better idea of what direction to go in with this now.

I have emailed Tractor Supply directly and I'm awaiting a reply.

I've gotten good responses back from Ideal, which makes me happy because as a hatchery I've been pretty pleased with them over the years.

I read through the information at the following (thank you to the person who posted the link originally):
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/sos/adopted/4.AGRICULTURE.html#233

Has anyone else read it? Seems to me it's directed at Live Bird Markets and bird distributors who get their stock from hatcheries/producers who are NOT registered with the states disease prevention programs. Based on what i read, there is nothing that says Tractor Supply is legally required to obtain or entitled to my personal information when I puchase chics!

I've gotten email from other folks here in Texas that say their local TS isn't requiring tracking information. I've also read now that the same is true in other states... some stores are demanding tracking info and others aren't.

Frankly, I'm done shopping at TS. There's nothing they sell that I can't get somewhere else!

Thanks again for all the input,
Liz

Here are a couple more links. I can't find anything else more current than 2003.

This link talks about HB 2328:

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_health/poultry_reg_discussion1.pdf

Here is a specific quote from their little FAQ section I find interesting:

(5) Do you expect there to be new requirements, for example on feed stores that
sell baby poultry?
If the retailer handles only baby poultry from NPIP Hatcheries, I would not
expect any new requirements, however, if they also buy/sell/trade other classes
of poultry, some new rules may develop.

and another...

(10) How will someone who maintains a private poultry flock be affected by this
program?
This program is not focused on people who have poultry flocks but rather on
people who are in the business of selling them. If a person is raising poultry and
only is engaged in limited private treaty sales of poultry then this program would
not apply.

Here's a link to statutes pertaining to texas ag:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

I still can't find anything that says TS would be required to collect tracking information. I did read some very, very scarey stuff about how a NAIS 'may' be implemented in Texas. The information about how a 'commision' member has the right to barge onto my property and inspect my animals without a warrant just makes me sick. How the hell did this happen? When did Americans become so blind??

Better yet, how do we fix this and regain some semblence of freedom?

Liz

Back
Top Bottom