Tractor supply gave me the wrong breed of chick?

Looks exactly like the Wyandotte’s I just got from my local TRactor Supply. I just had to go get 6 pullets because the first 6 chicks I got from them were straight runs and 5 out of 6 are roosters. I’m not happy. This is my first time having chicks and the girls at the store didn’t explain straight run and pullets. Now I have to find homes for 5 roosters

Chicks all look so much alike, I got "marans" and I am hoping that's what they are. I would agree to say Easter egger on yours. Only time will tell. I was trying to purchase a speckled Sussex (which I got) but she was trying to give me a black chick which was most likely a barred rock:confused: ps my barred rocks are my most naughty, troublemaking birds... :gig Oh girls!

Agree with the others, the black chick with the white head spot is the barred chick. The other looks like a silver laced Wyandotte. It can't be an ameraucana as even though their labeled that way, feed stores don't sell ameraucana. They'll argue it with you, since they don't know any better, but they're really easter eggers. Unfortunately, that's what they get from the hatcheries they order the chicks from, and that's how they are labeled from the hatchery. I don't know how they get away with it, but they do.

Agree with the others, the black chick with the white head spot is the barred chick. The other looks like a silver laced Wyandotte. It can't be an ameraucana as even though their labeled that way, feed stores don't sell ameraucana. They'll argue it with you, since they don't know any better, but they're really easter eggers. Unfortunately, that's what they get from the hatcheries they order the chicks from, and that's how they are labeled from the hatchery. I don't know how they get away with it, but they do.
Most of them change the spelling slightly. Ameracauna/ Americauna to legally name it differently but with the same pronunciation. Purposely confusing buyers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom