Tractor Supply is killing me!!!!

antrimfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
I bough two chicks from Tractor Supply in Feb that were both supposed to be Colombian Rocks. Now, don't get me wrong, I love ALL chickens, but I am a little peeved that they are not what they were supposed to be.

One of them turned out to be a silver laced wyandotte, but their feathers didn't come in the same at all. They were completely different. I was researching pullet/cockerel pics of Colombian rocks and they do not look anything like the bird I have!

So first, what breed is this chick? The age is 12 weeks. Second, do I have a lady or a gentleman? Thanks! You guys are the BEST at this!!!

The bird pictured looks like a hatchery quality SLW cockerel. I was just at TSC this morning and noted a bin of Cornish X labeled 'Tetra Tints', and two bins of very poor quality silkies labeled 'assorted bantams'. This year at my TSC mislabeling has been the norm.

Last edited:
Dang it!! But they were so different from eachother when the feathers were growing in!! I thought for sure that regardless of what they were they couldn't possibly be the same breed. :/ tractor supply is horrible at labeling apparently! About three weeks ago I bought three "silver laced wyandottes" but all three look different to me!!!

Tractor Supply gets their chicks from hatcheries. The hatcheries send boxes of chicks labeled as a breed or assortment. The employees at TSC pull out the sign that matches the label and put the chicks in the bin. Not too many people are good at identifying breeds of 1 day old chicks when they do know chickens. TSC employees aren't hired purely on their chicken knowledge, so the finger needs to be pointed at the hatcheries and not the TSC employees. Also, if you do see a tub mislabeled then maybe you can nicely educate the employee. If you don't like a guessing game, mislabeled birds, and hatchery quality birds then find a reputable breeder.

Tractor Supply gets their chicks from hatcheries. The hatcheries send boxes of chicks labeled as a breed or assortment. The employees at TSC pull out the sign that matches the label and put the chicks in the bin. Not too many people are good at identifying breeds of 1 day old chicks when they do know chickens. TSC employees aren't hired purely on their chicken knowledge, so the finger needs to be pointed at the hatcheries and not the TSC employees. Also, if you do see a tub mislabeled then maybe you can nicely educate the employee. If you don't like a guessing game, mislabeled birds, and hatchery quality birds then find a reputable breeder.
I'm not sure the blame lies with the hatcheries. My local feed stores get their birds from hatcheries also, and they're always the correct breed. They also don't order any straight run birds except bantams and CX, and apparently TSC does. TSC is a large enough customer for whatever hatchery they go through, the hatchery would stand on it's head to make them happy. From everything I've read, TSC as a company just doesn't care about good customer service with their chicks. Mis-labeled breeds, straight run birds, etc are the norm from the posts on here over the years.

I'm not sure the blame lies with the hatcheries. My local feed stores get their birds from hatcheries also, and they're always the correct breed. They also don't order any straight run birds except bantams and CX, and apparently TSC does. TSC is a large enough customer for whatever hatchery they go through, the hatchery would stand on it's head to make them happy. From everything I've read, TSC as a company just doesn't care about good customer service with their chicks. Mis-labeled breeds, straight run birds, etc are the norm from the posts on here over the years.
yes, at mine they'll have one bin labeled two different things and bigger kids can reach in and pick them and who knows which bin they get dumped back into. You're totally spinning the roulette wheel buying at tsc, unless you're there when the delivery arrives and see what they are yourself. Lol

Back
Top Bottom