Tractor Supply Promised RIR, ...I'm Not So Sure - Would You Have A Look?

I wouldn't be too worried about it, unless you were thinking of starting a breeding program. The "mixed breeds" you got were selectively bred for a combination of laying ability and temperament...it's a lot different than a "mutt."

I have no idea what my TSC "red pullets" are...but they are friendly, healthy girls and I love them!

It's sad that the guy at the store gave you misinformation, though...at my store, the tag listed the possible breeds that the "red pullet" bin could include, and the worker was honest with me that they weren't sure which of the listed breeds had been delivered. Just that they were brownish and all female :)

Also, I read that hatchery "pure breeds" can vary a great deal from the standard, so if you want a good representation, you are kinda stuck with finding a breeder.

I think the best match so far is Cinnamon/Red Sex Links/Red Stars.
We will live with that! At least we won't be needing to buy any eggs. They really can produce!
Is it true the Red Stars start to look kind of bad after about two years or so? Other than than that negative thing, all info points to them being a great all-around backyard chicken.

Let me know if any of you have a RIR or Black Australorp chick you wanna sell and can ship!
Many Thanks!

I only have one Australorpe and one Red Sexlink and the Red Sexlink by far out lays my Australorp they are both just alittle over 3 years old. its kinda blurry but this is Dumplin in the middle ( picture taken yesterday) I think she looks good for her age. And she lays Huge Darker Brown egg (kinda Rusty colored) and lays about 4/5 eggs weekly even now at 3yrs. I would def. get more Sexlinks if I was in the market for Egg layers! LOL

I have three of those too. They started out a light yellow with a light reddish chipmunk look. Their feathers started to come in white, and then after a week they started getting a lot more red on them. These pics are out of order, they were about 4 weeks, 3 weeks and then today I took the last pic. You can see how much redder they are now.

I have three of those too. They started out a light yellow with a light reddish chipmunk look. Their feathers started to come in white, and then after a week they started getting a lot more red on them. These pics are out of order, they were about 4 weeks, 3 weeks and then today I took the last pic. You can see how much redder they are now.

They are definitely not RIR, they are way lighter. I've had two Rhode Island Reds. Now that I actually think about it, I think the first one was a production red. It never made it to adulthood, but was way lighter than the RIR chick I have now:

I would guess that they are buff orpingtons. I have had a red sex-link, and they look a little light for that.

Last edited:
I went to another TSC in a different town about an hour away since I was passing through on business. They had the very same chicks in a bin marked 'Red Pullets'. They looked exactly like mine I bought yesterday. I asked the guy there what kind they were and without missing a beat he said, "Rhode Island Reds."
Yeah sure.
smile.png
lol

Back
Top Bottom