Tractor Supply Promised RIR, ...I'm Not So Sure - Would You Have A Look?

Bangarang64

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Lake Okeechobee
We got our first chicks today, after trying to find some pure breeds locally, (didn't want to pay the shipping for just a few chicks from the great suppliers out there) and having no luck, we finally settled for Tractor Supply.
We wanted a few Black Australorps, but not finding them, we decided to go with some RIRs because TS said they had them and we were too excited to wait any longer for something more original. As long as they were pure bred, I was ok with that.

The holding tank they were in said "Red Pullets" and I asked 3 different employees if these were indeed RIRs before we bought them. There was another holding tank with some full rust colored chicks, but those were labled "Straight Run" (which I already knew meant a gamble on the sex) and and the guys told me that no, those were mixed breed and the ones marked 'Red Pullets' were indeed RIRs.
Anyway, after getting them home and looking at a few pics on the web, I think I got just what I was trying to avoid, a bunch of chicks that I have no idea what they are and possibly a mixed breed.
Can any of you nice folks help me identify them? The guy said they are 6 days old, but who knows at this point.
Please take a stab at it and many thanks!

not at all RIR's lol....they look more like New Hampshire or even buff Orpington both of those breeds are great layers though

I dont think they are red sex-links I have some of those and they are more yellow than what is shown in that pic....but maybe it is just the camera that discolored them

Not much I can do at this point i guess. My son is very smitten with them. He spent all evening sitting by the brooder and calling us each time one of them did something he thought was amazing which was every five minutes. I don't want to sound uppity or anything, It's just that after talking about doing this, lurking on this website for a long while, planning for months, building a backyard coop (for when they're older) we decided we would do it if we researched and got a pure breed that did what we were looking for. We could have accepted free mixed breed chicks from friends many times.
I feel sooo stupid for not simply looking on google images at what a RIR chick looks like.

Looks like a batch that TSC loves..... the Tetra tint. Definitely not RIR.

Well I don't think they are Tetra Tints, according to this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/473961/the-tetra-tint-thread-photos-info
the Tetras are said to be more whitish and here is a pic of them:

The chicks that we ended up with are definitely yellow with white wing tips. They also have distinctive red stripes and red patches on the tops of their head. ...New Hampshire Reds maybe? I would be very happy if they turned out to be Buff Orpingtons.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Last edited:
They look just like my Cinnamon Queens (red sex-link). They should be great and early layers!

Back
Top Bottom