Tractor Supply Sebrights

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
When does tractor supply usually get their chicks? Do they usually have Sebrights? Are they very healthy? What's the minimum number of chicks I need to keep together? Can you call them and order some pacifically? Do they have a minimum order? Thanks so much for your time and help! :)

My Tractor Supply store usually carries chicks starting about the end of March and sporadically thereafter through the end of May. They usually only carry the top basic breed lines...RIR, EE. I've never seen Seabrights at ours and I don't know if you can special order them or not, you'll have to call them. As for their health, they're as healthy as any that you're not certain of their heritage. I would ask if they're vaccinated against Marek's disease or not for sure! Chickens are flock animals and in being so, they enjoy the company of others. You might work as a companion for a while, but in the end, companions of their own kind generally win out. It's for that reason you should never have fewer than two in a flock. Personally, I don't like to have fewer than three, but that's just me.

I know you can't raise one by itself. :) Sorry if it sounded that way. We have 9 other hens we would put them with when they got big enough to move to the coop too. Will tractor supply let you buy only 2 or 3? Last time we were in there I saw a brochure for ordering chicks. They just had a few breeds though. Do you think they would let you order some that weren't on the list? They were ordering from ideal. If you do order some do they just get chunked in with the other chicks? Thanks SO much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Our TSC usually has a pretty wide assortment of bantams and if they don't have what you're looking for, they'll let you add to their order and give you a call when the chicks come. Everyone I've ever been to has a 6 chick minimum though, so I don't think you'd be able to get away with ordering 2 or 3.
All of the chicks I've gotten from them have been healthy and active. And the chances of getting chicks that suffer from shipping seems to drop drastically if you wait to go in a few days after they've gotten them. They do chicks days in spring, so you'll have to wait a bit if you're planning on getting them there. However, there are hatcheries like Mypetchicken and, I think, Meyer that have 3 and 5 chick minimums. I know Ideal also has a $25 minimum, so you just have to get as many chicks as it takes to reach that dollar amount. But, the draw back there is you can expect to pay a pretty penny in shipping if you're ordering just a few chicks.
If I were you, I'd try to find a breeder in your area that has Seabrights. You can look at the chicks before you purchase them and get the number you want, and they'll likely have much better quality than any hatchery.

Good luck!

They have them in store in the spring. When they have them in store, they'll sell you however many you want of what they have. I doubt they'll have special breeds though. They're pretty much going to cater to what everyone mostly wants.

They will order them for you whenever. Per their order form, min quantity is 25. They're just going to order from a hatchery, so you may as well cut the middle man out and just order direct.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/opencm...es/special-order-brochure-Chick-Days-2014.pdf

Meyer has the lowest min order, but shipping is very expensive. Ideal is inexpensive, but has a $25 min order, which comes to 8-10 chicks typically.

I know of a few places in the Houston area that will sell a few birds and cater to the backyard farmer. They may or may not have the breed you want. PM me if you want to know who they are. If you're not picky about breed, I have some 5 weeks olds I'm looking for new homes for.

Actually Ideal Poultry states the following on their website:

BOXING CHARGE

Add $1.00 service charge for each variety or sex of less than one-fourth box.
SMALL ORDER CHARGE

For ship orders of less than one full box, add $7.00 handling charge and for ship orders between one and two full boxes, add $2.00 handling charge.

So, as long as your order totals 25.00 or more the above may apply. Say you bought 25.00 worth and that was only 8 birds. That would be less than one-fourth box (1/4 box = 25 chicks) so they will tack on a 1.00 charge for each variety. One variety = 1.00 two varieties = 2.00 etc. Plus since it is less than a full box they will add 7.00 for a small order and 2.00 handling or 9.00. Then for shipping charges:

AIR PARCEL POST (PRIORITY MAIL)

Chicks can be safely shipped to all states and Puerto Rico by Air Parcel Post. For shipments to Texas (except zips 798-799), Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Missouri except zips 620 thru 635, there is no air parcel post charge. For all other states and zip codes add 15¢ per Chick, Bantam, Chukar,or Guinea, 20¢ per Turkey Poult or Duckling, and 28¢ per Gosling

So shipping would be 15 cents per chick unless you were in one of the states listed. I ordered 6 ducklings a few months ago and the total charge was only 42.50 including everything.

I have found their stock to be average to above average, they have always been very friendly over the phone. The only problem is that, depending on the weather, you may end up with a bunch of male chicks included for free as "packing peanuts". Oh, and no I do not work for Ideal Poultry. I am just a simple country farmer that knows a good deal.

TSC has a corporate policy that sets the minimum sale to 6 chicks, if you want less you will have to seek out an alternative place and also verify there is no local or State law setting the minimum purchase in your area (not that many 'farms' will abide by the minimum purchase laws if they exist but most all stores and hatcheries will)...

Do any of y'all know where I might find a Sebright breeder? I live in Lubbock, TX.
Where's a good place to look? I haven't had any luck so far.

Back
Top Bottom