Tractor Supply

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wayneh, Feb 18, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    Thinking about getting my chicks from TS. anyone got chicks from them? The local store said that their chicks will be here in about 2 weeks. coop is almost done. going to get them as soon as they get here, usless y'all have a problem with TS chicks.

2. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I personally have never had any problem with the chicks I got from Tractor Supply. Well, actually, going into the store without leaving with more than I intended to buy has been MY problem.

But seriously, all the birds I bought from them have been healthy. I would recommend their Rhode Island Reds or Sexlinks. They are good layers, and pretty friendly.

Good luck, and have fun!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    TS chicks are simply hatchery chicks that they have ordered. Here, they are from Ideal, I guess because it is the closest. The only problem with TSC is, people handle them and put them back in the wrong bins all the time, especially the kids. Your best choice will be when they first arrive.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is difficult to speak about the quality of the birds because TSC is corporate and I question whether all their chicks come from the same hatchery. The local store doesn't do the ordering, as I understand it.

The boxes come mixed up, the employees don't know which breeds are what, the customers mix them up in the bins, they get a bit stressed from all the action, and finally, children are not supposed to handle them, but do. I have bought chicks from a similar type feed store. They were fair to midland hatchery chicks.

The prices are marked up from hatchery prices, but you do save shipping and you can buy as few as 6 chicks. Since the electric costs is the same for brooding 6 or 26, I typically order a 25 box from Townline or Meyer and split the order with someone locally.

5. Blubrd

Blubrd Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    I've had no problems with TSC either. I got my first chicks from them. All the pullets turned out to be pullets. And very healthy.

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My local TSC got them from Mt. Healthy last year. I was there yesterday and didn't see any sign of when/if they might get them this year. They got them in mid March last year and had a very limited variety. I think they had red sex links, meaties, "bantams" which looked like all white silkies, and assorted ducklings.

7. wadeb72

wadeb72 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    mckenzie
    Love my white Leghorn pullets I got last year from tsc. They are great layers

8. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I've never bought my chicks from TSC, but I always look when they have them in. My TSC does a great job looking after them/food/clean bedding/water. I would think they would be just as healthy as if I'd raised them myself.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  9. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I have never had a problem with them...

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Our chicks will be in about the next week or the following week...dependent on store. The chicks come from Privett, Mt.Healthy, and Ideal. We simply get orders that corporate has placed...pick them up just like Id do for myself at the Post Office and then bring them to the store and sell to public. We are just selling chicks and ducklings from the 3 hatcheries above. And like others have said your best bet is to get to the store early in the day...and pick the chicks you want before they get picked over and possibly moved by kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by