Tractor vs. Permanent coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justinseaworthy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Justinseaworthy

Justinseaworthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Hello all!

Any thoughts? I like the idea of a tractor so I can move it around the yard and not kill the grass and starting a mud pit (I live in SW FLA...3pm showers everyday during the summer!) but at the same time, a tractor doesnt give you much room to expand your flock if you are wanting to. I am looking to start with 3 hens, but from what I've read on this site....3 turns to 10 quick [​IMG] so I am kind of torn between the 2 options....

I live only 30mins from the urbanchickentractor.com guy so I could pick one up pretty easy....but Im sure I could build a permanent coop for much less than $375...

thanks in advance to any advice!

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    From the posts I have read over the years I would say that a lot of people quickly outgrow their tractors or they don't find them very convenient. I'm a big fan of the walk-in coop. Makes life much easier.

3. mattb#00

mattb#00 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Wilmington NC
    Based on your location, I would go with a tractor. You can build a 4x8 for about $70 and it will hold 3 hens. If you expand just build another one, it's an easy way to keep the flock separated. Plus it will make your lawn look awesome.

4. stayathomechick

stayathomechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    central, AR
    i agree i like the walk in coop the best no back achs cleanning

5. Justinseaworthy

Justinseaworthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Well I just met another BYC'er that lives in the same town as I and she is selling an old coop she has (walk in style). price is good and it gets me that much closer to getting my chickens!

I do agree with you guys about the walk-in space and being able to expand, but I really like the idea of moving it around. BUT! the one I am getting will work!

thanks for the replys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by